- EFT works nicely for a skeptical smoker
- A procedure for smoking and other addictions--80% success rate
- Persistent EFT to help a client quit smoking at her own pace
- Dialogues with Smokers--Parts I & II
- Rapid relief for a smoking addiction
- EFT ends a strong addiction to smoking cigarettes
- I quit smoking with EFT by using rebellion as a cause
- New Smoking Cessation Program Resolves the Real Reason that People Smoke
- How cigarette cravings led to major emotional release with EFT
- Smoking urge subsides after EFT collapses a betrayal issue
- Smoking addiction subsides after finding unusual habit
- EFT for a very clever smoker - two months with no need for a cigarette
- An ultra easy smoking cessation case
- Heavy smoker quits after resolving core issue
- Client stops smoking after addressing "manly" issue
- EFT for a food craving also eliminated a cigarette craving
- Smoking addiction
- Self-Applied Acupressure Technique May Prevent Tobacco from Killing One Billion People
- EFT and Inner Theater for Parts Work for quitting smoking
- Smoking, OCD & phobias
- Surrogate EFT eliminates smoking addiction
- EFT rapidly curbs cigarette cravings
- A "One Session Wonder" for quitting smoking
- A case where cigarette cravings turned out to be a form of self-punishment
- EFT's "Tell the Story Technique" releases alcohol-related anger feelings
- Alcoholic eliminates desire for alcohol by addressing "state" ness
- Budweiser beer - evidence that emotions cause addictions
- Detox relief from pain killers, migraine headaches and alcohol
- Using EFT for a headache provides aid to alcohol recovery
- A report from a "hopeless" binge drinking client
- Using EFT for unresolved grief aids an alcohol problem as a side benefit
- Finding out what really caused a food craving
- Emphatic tapping for a sugar addiction
- Hitting a chocolate craving head on
- Using EFT for a caffeine addiction
- Over 30 pounds and counting....
- EFT helps morbidly obese woman to stop feeling hungry
- Successful EFT reframing of a Coke & Pepsi addiction
- Is it safe to drop those pounds?
- EFT for ice cream cravings
- The core issue behind a cookie craving
- EFT eliminates 40 year addiction to coffee - 9 month follow-up
- EFT for a chocolate addiction brings about physical symptoms -- all gone in 10 minutes
- Chocolate cravings have their root in childhood poverty
- Finding the core issue behind a sweets addiction
- What was REALLY behind those cravings?
- How Mary's self sabotage kept her from slimming down
- Overcoming a Food Craving
- Simple EFT procedure for excess food and drink consumption
- An ice cream addiction fades after quality detective work by Carol Solomon
- A success formula for self-sabotage eliminates binge eating
- Melissa gets to the root of her sugar addiction - Followup included
- Sugar cravings subside with persistent and consistent EFT
- Jane no longer wants those potato chips
- Chewing tobacco addiction aided by surrogate tapping
- All traces of
- EFT and nail biting. A one minute wonder
- Successful 21 month follow up on a 20 year chewing tobacco addiction.
- EFT ends secret addiction to inhalants and clears the core issue
- 23 Year Hair Pulling Compulsive Disorder Ends at an EFT Workshop
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder regarding AIDS
- EFT for hoarding (OCD)
- Success with Addictions using EFT
- Recovering Addicts Lose Nicotine Cravings in Record Time
- After tapping, Carol
- Touching trichotillomania tale
- 60 year soap opera 'addiction' vanishes as a side benefit of EFT
- Brief uses of EFT collapses hair pulling problem (trichotillomania)
- EFT in 12 Step programs - a perfect place to address specific events
- EFT succeeds with hand washing compulsion in minutes
- EFT for a gambling addiction
- A self administered approach to addictions
- An Example of Using Reframes with Addictive Behavior
- Chewing tobacco habit--A humorous look at an extreme Apex problem
EFT helps morbidly obese woman to stop feeling hungry
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Here is a classic case by Carol Solomon that beautifully displays the link between obesity and unresolved emotions. As Carol says, "What Jean didn’t get from her family, she gave to herself in the form of food. Jean didn’t think that she could get love and attention from her family, so she “settled” for food."
My client “Jean” was morbidly obese and had been unable to lose weight for many years. No matter what she tried, it would only last a short time before her eating got out of control again. Like many clients with persistent food and weight issues, Jean was holding onto old childhood hurts. She felt deprived as a child. Her mother was emotionally needy, and her sister “the beautiful one” got most of the attention. Jean only got attention for being “responsible.”
What Jean didn’t get from her family, she gave to herself in the form of food. Jean didn’t think that she could get love and attention from her family, so she “settled” for food.
It didn’t stop her from continuing to try to get their approval, even as an adult. Jean spent her entire life in search of the love and attention she didn’t get from her family, and hating herself for not being the one that they gave it to.
Jean’s low self-esteem led to excessive pleasing behavior, hiding her true self and the inability to set limits. I don’t know anything that will create stress more quickly than saying “yes” to everything!
Hanging onto her excess weight became a symbol for the only kind of attention Jean thought she could get. These patterns became obvious in one of my EFT sessions with her.
“Even though I need to be needed...”
“Even though I need to show them how responsible I am…”
“Even though my fat gives me negative attention, otherwise they ignore me, I love and accept myself anyway.”
“Even though I’ve spent my whole life breaking my back trying to please them, I am now ready to approve of myself.”
At this point, Jean said her back started to hurt.
“Even though they give me a backache...”
Then the pain moved to her neck.
“Even though they are a big pain in the neck, I love and accept myself completely.”
“Even though I keep trying to please them anyway, I choose to know it’s not working.”
“Even though I can’t accept that I’m not going to get the attention I want from them, I love and accept myself completely.”
“Even though I can’t say no because they might think I’m not responsible, and that’s all I have...”
“Even though I need to hang onto this fat to get attention, otherwise I’m invisible, I love and accept myself anyway.”
“Even though I’m still trying to prove myself, I APPROVE OF MYSELF and I accept where I am in this process.”
“Even though I’m STILL trying to get their approval after all these years, I choose to know that I don’t have to please them. It doesn’t work anyway and I am now ready to please myself.”
GC COMMENT: In addition to the above good work by Carol, her past issues could be broken down into specific events and the sting from these events could be "tapped away." This is my favorite to proceed in a case like this.
CAROL CONTINUES: Jean’s back and neck pain disappeared immediately. After this session, she tapped for a few minutes per day, for about a month using a combination of these statements. I encouraged her to make EFT a daily practice.
She is now steadily losing 1-2 lb. per week, and has stopped feeling “hungry” all the time. As a bonus, she no longer feels that she needs to say “yes” to every request and is feeling much happier.
Carol Solomon, Ph.D.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.