- An EFT reference for student and social service use
- Helping a child release school related insecurity and anxiety - visualizing balloons as you tap
- Baerbel Froehlin gives her thoughts on working with children - toilet problems and fingernail biting
- Calming down a disruptive classroom with EFT
- EFT for trauma in elementary school
- EFT in schools: When was the last time you said thank you to a hero?
- Angie Muccillo tells why EFT is an essential tool to teach children
- 10 year old Josh learns multiplication tables rapidly
- EFT helps a child to cope with his hyperactivity and murdered dad - school grades improve
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Making a game of EFT calms restless preschoolers
- Success with a 6 year old: Coughing, Sleep problem and School anger issue
- 45 minutes of EFT on a learning disability brings impressive benefits
- 9 year old boy uses EFT to deal successfully with divorce and school problems
- Tapping with kids before a camping trip
- Zach's fear of dogs
- Magic buttons and no more fear of the hum-hum Monster
- After EFT, 8-year-old boy no longer has fear and panic about being alone in a room
- Fear of the dark
- A two and a half year old releases a severe fear after one hour of very creative EFT
- A toddler's fear of water shifts to excitement in less than 5 minutes
- Child's bug phobia eased quickly by EFT
- Handling a child's fear of being home alone
- Tapping for a 4 year old's constipation leads to relief from her fear of death
- Child's stage fright and bullying incident eased quickly by EFT
- Fear of making a mistake, fear of peers laughing at him & bedtime fears due to TV programs.
- How EFT for a dental fear brought relief to both mother and daughter
- "Is everything poison?" and fear of spiders
- Doing EFT with children for the fear of water
- Relieving Juleus' fears
- EFT for a child
- Fear of Santa Claus
- 11 year old successfully taps for her own fear of going to camp
- Being bullied, sleeping with the lights on & fear of spiders
- The Teen who had a fear of showing his face
- Calming down an energetic one year old child
- After a few minutes of mental tapping, a baby stops screaming and falls asleep
- Creativity with severely disturbed children
- A seven year old learns EFT and calms his own ADHD
- An insecure child with behavior problems
- Did surrogate EFT calm this crying, outraged baby?
- Andrew: "There are mice in my pants"
- Helping parents whose children have autism
- An ADHD case
- AT 315 pounds, Tanya is a VERY big 12 year old.
- Surrogate EFT for a naughty boy
- AFRAID OF BEING DROWNED!
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbed boy
- Clever use of EFT for an 8 year old girl's anger
- Angry teenager
- Unsociable behavior in a 14 year old boy
- How do you neutralize extreme behavior problems in youngsters where nothing else has helped?
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history
- Angry young boy overcomes an "entity within" using surrogate EFT
- EFT for influencing children to do healthy things
- Creative uses of EFT for a child
- Surrogate EFT for two-year-old reduces fever in an hour
- Resolving issues for a frantic, hysterical baby
- Scary commercials
- Loud noises no longer bother 3 year old girl
- SURROGATE EFT calms a boy bitten by a dog and PERSISTENT EFT restores his calm sleep
- Teacher displays many EFT benefits achieved by his students
- Teenage trauma from the Columbine incident & swimming performance.
- Surrogate EFT brings peace to annoying toddler
- Three-for-one phone session - borrowing benefits for mom and two kids
- Using EFT for mosquito bites on a 3 year old - "These itchy boo-boos"
- For parents--using EFT with your own children
- Eliminating two food allergies in one session
- Flexible approach to EFT pulls 10 year old boy out of his 'Dark Place'
- Using EFT in a pediatric dental office for sensitive gag reflex
- A "must" EFT procedure for children
- Linda Wood helps very distressed 3 year old girl while mother looks on in total disbelief
- Nancy Gnecco's cases: sleeping disorder, separation anxiety, school phobia, wetting pants, soiling pants
- Teacher helps students with non-academic issues: Abscessed tooth and batting average
- Deborah Miller introduces EFT at a children
- Some EFT guidelines for working with children
- EFT hastens recovery from a concussion and skull fracture
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- A simple way to handle a child's nightmare
- Surrogate EFT for a toddler
- Pain and rash leave in 90 seconds for a 10 year old boy
- Drowning related trauma relief for a 9 year old boy
- Surrogate EFT benefits both mother and child
- Did a few minutes of EFT change this child's life?
- EFT for the child who hates math - was math really the problem? "Mom, you're my hero!"
- Children--Gary's Introductory Message
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Surrogate tapping clears severe diaper rash
- Successful Surrogate EFT for his daughter's rejection brings joy to Mauricio's heart
- Study Links Childhood Trauma to Serious Illnesses in Adults
- EFT being used by children for other children
- TappyBear helps resolve 11 year old's escalating anger and frustration - the real issues come out
- Allergic reaction to horses--swollen eyes.
- Sept. 11, 2001 Trauma Treatment for Children
- How to help a vomiting 9 year old boy from thousands of miles away
- EFT with a 5 year old boy -- reducing childhood baggage
- Angie Muccillo emphasizes the value of tapping on childhood events
- Dyslexia and learning disabilities
- Surrogate tapping for crying baby--over the Internet
- EFT clears severe pain and retrieves a lost voice for an eleven year old girl in forty minutes
- EFT helps a 14 year old girl with emotions related to her parents
- Hand washing OCD
- Emotional underdevelopment
- Using EFT for teething pain
- EFT with 11 year old students - SATs and other issues
- No more bedwetting--a side benefit?
- MD gives up 30 year medical practice to focus on energy work: Two boys get over bullying experience
- Four year old clears her own cold symptoms with EFT
- Dawn Murray
- Bowling performance and driver's test anxiety
- Several short examples including: Fear of flying, Halloween costume fear, Fear of ocean waves, A baby about to cry, Broken leg pain, Student/Teacher friction, Upset student
- Kids, Chocolate, Humor and EFT
- EFT provides impressive results in the classroom
- EFT helps Nell's godson learn the times tables
- 10 year old boy overcomes food issue related to Mother's cancer
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- Using EFT with kids
- Surrogate EFT eases the after effects of a sprain for a 4 year old boy
- Turning around a manipulative child
- Using EFT as a Mother
- Using EFT with children -- 9 useful thoughts
- EFT for bedwetting
- Intense childhood anger reduces to peace via mother's surrogate EFT
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Teaching EFT to 11 year old children
- EFT for an infant's sleeplessness
- Surrogate EFT calms kicking and screaming students
- Helping a restless child to go to sleep
- Surrogate EFT helps sick toddler
- EFT assists 8 year old in giving up thumb sucking
- Surrogate EFT helps a screaming baby on a plane
- EFT for compassionate newborn care -- a Transient Tachypnea (TTN) case
- Shortcut version of EFT enhances classroom performance
- When angry "Teacher-Talk" affects the student's performance
- Surrogate tapping helps restless child sleep
- Successful EFT with a four year old girl who uses her own phrasing
- Pet grief, school (math) performance & cursing/anger.
- WATER IS DANGEROUS !!
- EFT helps children who express their anger by moving their bodies
- EFT persistence brings relief to Bobby's upset stomach at the fairgrounds
- An 8 year old girl with an "itchy lump" in her throat: A simple use of EFT
- For children: Using EFT with rhymes
- Using EFT for an autistic child
- Magazine article highlights use of EFT for children
- Surrogate (remote) EFT used to calm children ... or ... how to be a Silent Angel
- Sleep disorder relief for a 17 year old
- Turning Students On to EFT
- Surrogate EFT to help restless kids - or is it a coincidence?
- An unsuccessful case regarding peformance in English class
- Teaching kids to tap
- EFT and Tappy Bear help a shy boy get to kindergarten
- EFT in the classroom
- Molested Boy: Shifting a life forever
- Wisdom from Bobbie Sandoz--relieving trauma at early ages
- A fun way to deliver EFT to children--and everyone gets to smile
- What to do when the student hates math
- Using EFT for a 9 year old girl diagnosed as bipolar and as having reactive attachment disorder
- Fear of rain, thunder, lightning, bugs & dogs. Relief for cramps.
- Using EFT for Colic and generally happy babies
- Tapping to clear those decisions we make as children that eventually limit us as adults
- TappyBear helps client to focus
- Car sickness
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- Math test anxiety subsides after being traced to a specific event
- Success with surrogate tapping for a crying child
- Face hot & red, teasing, travel sickness, phobia of dead things, shyness and more.
- Elegant session with 11 year old boy for test anxiety
- EFT for pain and nightmares in 3 year old girl
- Lazy teen finds new way to study - adding the right ingredients
- More short examples including: Homesickness, Nervousness about exams & grade improvement, Nightmares after witnessing a rape and a shooting, Performance anxiety, Ear pain on an airplane.
- Perpetually terrified teenager gains major relief
- Surrogate EFT to help children sleep - a critical lesson regarding intention
- Surrogate EFT stops a child from biting others
- Using humor and metaphors while applying EFT for children: The Frog in my Throat
- Using EFT Rhymes for children
- Using EFT and Max's imagination to get rid of his headache
- Resolving a child's severe abdominal pain -- a likely Urinary Tract Infection
- EFT for babies
- When a child cannot sleep in her own room
- Stuttering child
- Surrogate EFT for a baby with hiccups
- An EFT newcomer helps her daughter
- Family effects
- 13 year old boy gets relief from uncontrollable twitching
- Tapping turns NightMares into
- What can children ages 8-13 do with EFT on their own?
- A very detailed message on a young girl's motion sickness
- Helping children sleep and socialize--AND--two lactose intolerance cases
- Teaching EFT to children - a detailed account
- Helping children to express their 0-10 feeling intensity
Using EFT with kids
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Kim Eisen shares her thoughts on how to handle the various children related EFT issues.
In my opinion EFT is the #1 resource for reducing children's traumas whether it's after the fact or in the moment. What adults may think is a small issue can be huge to a child, and we should treat it accordingly. If we take the seconds or minutes needed to neutralize what's bothering them, they may not have to grow up with tons of issues (barring extreme trauma, but even that may be neutralized).
Hopefully this will help you gain a little understanding of how to work with children using EFT at different ages. Kids get EFT fast, although our wording needs to be changed slightly according to their understanding and verbiage, i.e. The Magic Buttons vs. the tapping points.
Often, when kids learn EFT, they want to teach it to their parents and peers because they think it's cool. They usually don't do a whole bunch of issues, just what is bothering them, and go off to play because it has fallen from their 'now' as a problem. Younger children don't seem to carry too much into the moment, unless they have had severe trauma.
I have noticed that children who are more emotional or empathetic may tend to carry the unspoken or energetic emotions of the parent. For instance if a parent thought they, themselves were dumb in school … or didn't fit in … and have strong feelings about it, the child (usually 5-7 years) may pick this up for what appears to be no reason and start saying things like 'I'm stupid' or 'I'm dumb' without having had direct experience of that.
This can also apply to certain fears and anxieties. So, if this seems to be exhibited in the child, the parents may wish to go back and tap on themselves for their own fears and anxieties, before working with the child.
In the 7 to 11 year old stage of development, children are quite self-centered and self-conscious (a natural stage). They are learning peer behavior techniques and going back and forth between independence and co- or inter-dependence. They are perfect candidates for EFT if it is approached correctly, as it gives them the freedom to do something for themselves with satisfying results. And, they may be likely to use it in the moment, which could be significant to their overall emotional growth.
Rather than give them homework with tapping as we do for adults, I let them know that they can use this at anytime they feel hurt, sad or angry. And, sometimes as a gentle reminder that they know how to do it, we do a quick run through. I would caution, though, that if they have a 'big' issue (i.e. rape, incest, murder, etc.) that they work with a professional. But for everyday hurts or issues, this would greatly improve their future adult life, as they wouldn't carry the hurts with them.
One note is that in divorce situations it is important to do EFT to address that the divorce is not the children’s fault and address any reasons that they might think it's their fault. And, as a note to parents who are divorcing, do not argue in front of the children (they don't need to know everything) or put down the other parent because the 'other' is their parent and they inherently love them. Don't take that away from them (barring abuse).
With EFT and 7 to 11 year old children, once they learn the technique, they will usually do EFT in the moment or shortly after an issue arises when they re-remember it - such as bed time or alone time. They should be instructed that they can use this anytime they feel like it and that it is best to say what they think happened and how it honestly made them feel (not what they think they should have felt). For example:
Even though my best friend didn't talk to me today and I don't know why and it hurt my feelings, I'm still a great (good) kid
Even though my mom and dad fight and it scares me, it's not about me and I'm still a great kid.
Sometimes they are sad and they don't know why or may not wish to discuss it with you. In those cases, teach them to tap generally:
Even though I'm sad and don't know why, I'm still a great kid - usually something will show up.
Even though I'm sad about something (they don't have to say what it is to you), I'm still a fabulous kid. They may discuss it with you later, or not, but the important thing is to get them feeling better.
Children who are 3 to 6 years old are mostly self centered and self-conscious and more into finding their boundaries by showing shadows of independence. They just know what they want and when they want it (most thinking the world revolves around them - again, a natural stage of growth - hence, everything is caused by them. i.e. divorce, abuse, upsets, etc.).
This important stage of self development makes it more appropriate for a professional or a parent to work with them as they are mostly co- or inter-dependent (although some parents would argue this point as the new children are very independent in their thoughts), but nonetheless, they rely on their parents or guardians for many things.
When working with EFT and the 3 to 6 year old, you'll probably have a good handle on most things that bother your children and they are pretty good at letting you know. You'll usually be working with them in the moment - whether they are sad, hurt, angry, or having a tantrum. In introducing EFT to them, I usually ask if they want to play a game, or try something really neat that could help them feel better. (Except for tantrums or anger directed at you, in which you'll probably have to surrogate tap on yourself for them).
If they agree, I show them their 'Magic Buttons' (or call them whatever you wish) and I instruct them to say what I say, and to do what I do. Use words that you know that they will understand. It is magic, after one or two rounds, they've forgotten (neutralized) the emotion and go off and play. You'll know they are done, because they talk about something else and may even be bored because they're done and there is no reason to continue the game. Eventually, these children will start using it on their own and should be encouraged to do so.
Although this may be a delicate subject to some, if their upset is caused by someone else, it is extremely important for the child to realize, and for you to impart to the child that 'other' people have their own way of doing things, good or bad, and although it may be different, unfair or not nice, it has nothing to do with 'them' ("It's not about you"). Furthermore, there are many good people who are like us, and, different from us, and that's what makes the world such a wonderful place.
The 12-16 year old stage involves peer acceptance, self identity (more independence) and the feeling or fear of lost-ness in leaving who they thought they were … to becoming someone else … but they're just not quite sure what that is. It's a little scary and even though they don't want to be inter-dependent, they don't want to be alone (and many think they are completely alone in someway).
They think they're grown-up, and don't want to go to their parents or other adults, but don't know what to do, nor do they have the capability to handle things on their own or with an equal. The freedom of EFT in assisting them to adulthood can launch them beyond their expectations of what they can do.
Working with EFT and the 12-16 year old - I left this one for last as it can be a dichotomy, because if they 'get it' with EFT and use it, it'll do wonders and have had great success. I would just introduce it as indicated in the 7-11 year old section, just changing the wording to be more expressive. You will have to speak their language such as 'like' 'uhhh' 'really cool', etc. (you get the point).
Again, if they think it's cool, they'll teach everyone they know. If they think 'they know it all' you'll have a more difficult time to even get them to the table to introduce it. This is probably where you'll want a professional (outsider, not mom or dad) to work with them or teach them EFT.
All in all, children are not that much different from adults with the range of emotions that they might experience. They just have the benefit of not carrying around baggage or issues for as long. Learning EFT now can save them tons of heartache and hurt in the future or at the very least the amount of time they carry it. What a gift you can give them!
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.