- An EFT reference for student and social service use
- Helping a child release school related insecurity and anxiety - visualizing balloons as you tap
- Baerbel Froehlin gives her thoughts on working with children - toilet problems and fingernail biting
- Calming down a disruptive classroom with EFT
- EFT for trauma in elementary school
- EFT in schools: When was the last time you said thank you to a hero?
- Angie Muccillo tells why EFT is an essential tool to teach children
- 10 year old Josh learns multiplication tables rapidly
- EFT helps a child to cope with his hyperactivity and murdered dad - school grades improve
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Making a game of EFT calms restless preschoolers
- Success with a 6 year old: Coughing, Sleep problem and School anger issue
- 45 minutes of EFT on a learning disability brings impressive benefits
- 9 year old boy uses EFT to deal successfully with divorce and school problems
- Magic buttons and no more fear of the hum-hum Monster
- Tapping with kids before a camping trip
- Zach's fear of dogs
- A two and a half year old releases a severe fear after one hour of very creative EFT
- After EFT, 8-year-old boy no longer has fear and panic about being alone in a room
- Fear of the dark
- Handling a child's fear of being home alone
- A toddler's fear of water shifts to excitement in less than 5 minutes
- Child's bug phobia eased quickly by EFT
- Fear of making a mistake, fear of peers laughing at him & bedtime fears due to TV programs.
- Tapping for a 4 year old's constipation leads to relief from her fear of death
- Child's stage fright and bullying incident eased quickly by EFT
- "Is everything poison?" and fear of spiders
- How EFT for a dental fear brought relief to both mother and daughter
- Relieving Juleus' fears
- Doing EFT with children for the fear of water
- Fear of Santa Claus
- EFT for a child
- The Teen who had a fear of showing his face
- 11 year old successfully taps for her own fear of going to camp
- Being bullied, sleeping with the lights on & fear of spiders
- Calming down an energetic one year old child
- After a few minutes of mental tapping, a baby stops screaming and falls asleep
- Creativity with severely disturbed children
- A seven year old learns EFT and calms his own ADHD
- Did surrogate EFT calm this crying, outraged baby?
- An insecure child with behavior problems
- Helping parents whose children have autism
- Andrew: "There are mice in my pants"
- Surrogate EFT for a naughty boy
- An ADHD case
- AT 315 pounds, Tanya is a VERY big 12 year old.
- Clever use of EFT for an 8 year old girl's anger
- AFRAID OF BEING DROWNED!
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbed boy
- How do you neutralize extreme behavior problems in youngsters where nothing else has helped?
- Angry teenager
- Unsociable behavior in a 14 year old boy
- EFT for influencing children to do healthy things
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history
- Angry young boy overcomes an "entity within" using surrogate EFT
- Flexible approach to EFT pulls 10 year old boy out of his 'Dark Place'
- Using EFT in a pediatric dental office for sensitive gag reflex
- A "must" EFT procedure for children
- Linda Wood helps very distressed 3 year old girl while mother looks on in total disbelief
- Creative uses of EFT for a child
- Surrogate EFT for two-year-old reduces fever in an hour
- Resolving issues for a frantic, hysterical baby
- Scary commercials
- Loud noises no longer bother 3 year old girl
- SURROGATE EFT calms a boy bitten by a dog and PERSISTENT EFT restores his calm sleep
- Teacher displays many EFT benefits achieved by his students
- Teenage trauma from the Columbine incident & swimming performance.
- Surrogate EFT brings peace to annoying toddler
- Three-for-one phone session - borrowing benefits for mom and two kids
- Using EFT for mosquito bites on a 3 year old - "These itchy boo-boos"
- For parents--using EFT with your own children
- Eliminating two food allergies in one session
- Children--Gary's Introductory Message
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Surrogate tapping clears severe diaper rash
- Successful Surrogate EFT for his daughter's rejection brings joy to Mauricio's heart
- Nancy Gnecco's cases: sleeping disorder, separation anxiety, school phobia, wetting pants, soiling pants
- Teacher helps students with non-academic issues: Abscessed tooth and batting average
- Deborah Miller introduces EFT at a children
- Some EFT guidelines for working with children
- EFT hastens recovery from a concussion and skull fracture
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- A simple way to handle a child's nightmare
- Surrogate EFT for a toddler
- Pain and rash leave in 90 seconds for a 10 year old boy
- Drowning related trauma relief for a 9 year old boy
- Surrogate EFT benefits both mother and child
- Did a few minutes of EFT change this child's life?
- EFT for the child who hates math - was math really the problem? "Mom, you're my hero!"
- Hand washing OCD
- Emotional underdevelopment
- Using EFT for teething pain
- EFT with 11 year old students - SATs and other issues
- Study Links Childhood Trauma to Serious Illnesses in Adults
- EFT being used by children for other children
- TappyBear helps resolve 11 year old's escalating anger and frustration - the real issues come out
- Allergic reaction to horses--swollen eyes.
- Sept. 11, 2001 Trauma Treatment for Children
- How to help a vomiting 9 year old boy from thousands of miles away
- EFT with a 5 year old boy -- reducing childhood baggage
- Angie Muccillo emphasizes the value of tapping on childhood events
- Dyslexia and learning disabilities
- Surrogate tapping for crying baby--over the Internet
- EFT clears severe pain and retrieves a lost voice for an eleven year old girl in forty minutes
- EFT helps a 14 year old girl with emotions related to her parents
- Turning around a manipulative child
- Using EFT as a Mother
- Using EFT with children -- 9 useful thoughts
- EFT for bedwetting
- No more bedwetting--a side benefit?
- MD gives up 30 year medical practice to focus on energy work: Two boys get over bullying experience
- Four year old clears her own cold symptoms with EFT
- Dawn Murray
- Bowling performance and driver's test anxiety
- Several short examples including: Fear of flying, Halloween costume fear, Fear of ocean waves, A baby about to cry, Broken leg pain, Student/Teacher friction, Upset student
- Kids, Chocolate, Humor and EFT
- EFT provides impressive results in the classroom
- EFT helps Nell's godson learn the times tables
- 10 year old boy overcomes food issue related to Mother's cancer
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- Using EFT with kids
- Surrogate EFT eases the after effects of a sprain for a 4 year old boy
- Pet grief, school (math) performance & cursing/anger.
- WATER IS DANGEROUS !!
- EFT helps children who express their anger by moving their bodies
- EFT persistence brings relief to Bobby's upset stomach at the fairgrounds
- Intense childhood anger reduces to peace via mother's surrogate EFT
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Teaching EFT to 11 year old children
- EFT for an infant's sleeplessness
- Surrogate EFT calms kicking and screaming students
- Helping a restless child to go to sleep
- Surrogate EFT helps sick toddler
- EFT assists 8 year old in giving up thumb sucking
- Surrogate EFT helps a screaming baby on a plane
- EFT for compassionate newborn care -- a Transient Tachypnea (TTN) case
- Shortcut version of EFT enhances classroom performance
- When angry "Teacher-Talk" affects the student's performance
- Surrogate tapping helps restless child sleep
- Successful EFT with a four year old girl who uses her own phrasing
- Molested Boy: Shifting a life forever
- Wisdom from Bobbie Sandoz--relieving trauma at early ages
- A fun way to deliver EFT to children--and everyone gets to smile
- What to do when the student hates math
- An 8 year old girl with an "itchy lump" in her throat: A simple use of EFT
- For children: Using EFT with rhymes
- Using EFT for an autistic child
- Magazine article highlights use of EFT for children
- Surrogate (remote) EFT used to calm children ... or ... how to be a Silent Angel
- Sleep disorder relief for a 17 year old
- Turning Students On to EFT
- Surrogate EFT to help restless kids - or is it a coincidence?
- An unsuccessful case regarding peformance in English class
- Teaching kids to tap
- EFT and Tappy Bear help a shy boy get to kindergarten
- EFT in the classroom
- More short examples including: Homesickness, Nervousness about exams & grade improvement, Nightmares after witnessing a rape and a shooting, Performance anxiety, Ear pain on an airplane.
- Perpetually terrified teenager gains major relief
- Surrogate EFT to help children sleep - a critical lesson regarding intention
- Surrogate EFT stops a child from biting others
- Using EFT for a 9 year old girl diagnosed as bipolar and as having reactive attachment disorder
- Fear of rain, thunder, lightning, bugs & dogs. Relief for cramps.
- Using EFT for Colic and generally happy babies
- Tapping to clear those decisions we make as children that eventually limit us as adults
- TappyBear helps client to focus
- Car sickness
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- Math test anxiety subsides after being traced to a specific event
- Success with surrogate tapping for a crying child
- Face hot & red, teasing, travel sickness, phobia of dead things, shyness and more.
- Elegant session with 11 year old boy for test anxiety
- EFT for pain and nightmares in 3 year old girl
- Lazy teen finds new way to study - adding the right ingredients
- A very detailed message on a young girl's motion sickness
- Helping children sleep and socialize--AND--two lactose intolerance cases
- Teaching EFT to children - a detailed account
- Helping children to express their 0-10 feeling intensity
- Using humor and metaphors while applying EFT for children: The Frog in my Throat
- Using EFT Rhymes for children
- Using EFT and Max's imagination to get rid of his headache
- Resolving a child's severe abdominal pain -- a likely Urinary Tract Infection
- EFT for babies
- When a child cannot sleep in her own room
- Stuttering child
- Surrogate EFT for a baby with hiccups
- An EFT newcomer helps her daughter
- Family effects
- 13 year old boy gets relief from uncontrollable twitching
- Tapping turns NightMares into
- What can children ages 8-13 do with EFT on their own?
WATER IS DANGEROUS !!
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Deborah Mitnick takes us on a delightful trip through the creative use of EFT on her 3 year old grandson's intense fear of water. Children respond very well to EFT but rapport in applying it is often a challenge. Deborah's rapport skills, together with the treating of many aspects, make this case an important one to study.
Avi is my grandson and will celebrate his third birthday in a month. He's always been afraid of water and has refused to go into or even close to any swimming pool, and has even resisted putting on a bathing suit. Avi's not too crazy about taking baths, either, and won't sit down in the tub. Instead, he stands up the entire time during his bath. This has made for some challenging bath times for his parents!
Next week, we are taking a family trip to the beach. Avi is terrified to get wet and told me very clearly that "Water is Dangerous! Getting wet is dangerous! Putting on a bathing suit is dangerous! Water is scary."
His parents, David and Racheli, asked me if I thought I could help him. Well, as you know by now, we try EFT on everything! But I was a bit nervous about tapping on Avi. Would he accept me? Would he let me tap on him? Would it work????????
My "what-ifs" set in with a vengeance. What if Avi has a short attention span? What if I damage my relationship with him or his parents? What if I make a fool of myself? What if my kids are disappointed in me? What if they watch me fail and then feel reinforced in their belief that EFT is weird and that it just doesn't work and here's proof? What if!!!???
I borrowed some picture books from the library about going to the ocean. I also found some beautiful photographs of the ocean. Avi and I read through a couple of these books at his house. And he again insisted that "Water is Dangerous!"
I didn't think Avi would let me touch him, so, I tapped on myself and Avi watched. "Even though Avi thinks water is dangerous, he's ok." I tapped the short cut and Avi watched me carefully.
I asked him if he'd like to come to my house and see my kiddie pool (newly borrowed) and my sprinkler (newly purchased). He said yes, but he also said, "Water is Dangerous!"
So, I "set the stage" before Avi and his babysitter Aliza got here. I turned on the sprinkler and had it oscillating in only one direction, from straight up and then to the left. It was in the center of the driveway, so half of the driveway stayed dry.
I put a few inches of water in the pool the day before and let it get warm overnight. There were three chairs set up on the driveway and a towel on each chair. There was a table with the library books about the ocean. There was a bowl with a few jelly beans (as a bribe!) on the table.
When I picked Avi up to drive him to my house, I mentioned the pool and the sprinkler. He whimpered, "Water is Dangerous!" Although he was in the back seat while I drove, I tapped on myself and said, "Even though Avi thinks water is dangerous, he's ok." I went through the shortcut version while driving and while he watched me. (I never hold a cell phone to my ear while I drive, but I do enjoy tapping while driving when the spirit moves me!)
When we got to my house, Avi was not at all impressed with the pool and the sprinkler. He was willing to sit on a chair on Aliza's lap but he wanted nothing to do with the water! When I tried to move him toward the water, he'd pull back and whine and cry. (I'd say his intensity level was a 10 on the 0-10 scale at this point.)
I tapped on myself again and ran through the short cut. Avi watched carefully. I asked if I could tap on him and he said I could. I tapped my eyebrow point and said, "Avi thinks water is dangerous, and that's ok." I then tapped on his eyebrow point and said the same thing.
Avi looked interested, so I kept going, alternating my "side of the eye" point and then his. I continued with my "under the eye" point and then his. We tapped all of my points and all of his points in an alternating fashion. (He giggled at the underarm spot!)
After two full rounds of the above, I asked Avi if we could get one finger wet. He said, "No finger wet!" So, we tapped,"Even though Avi doesn't want to get even one finger wet, he's ok!"
After a bit of laughing at all of the tapping, Avi seemed ready to get off Aliza's lap. We walked toward the sprinkler. He held out one finger, as if to touch the water, but pulled back. I asked if I could touch him with my one wet finger. He whimpered and said no. We tapped, "Even though Avi doesn't want Mom-Mom (that's his name for me) to touch him with even one wet finger, he's ok." And then he let me touch him with that one wet finger.
And then he touched the water. And again. And again. And he laughed.
We then splatted our hands in the sprinkler. And he laughed.
But we were nowhere near done.
I asked Avi if he'd like to touch the water in the pool."NO!"
Again we tapped: "Even though Avi doesn't even want to touch the water in the pool, he's ok." After a round of that, Avi bent over and touched the water when I did. And then he splashed the water. And then he splashed me! And I splashed him! And we both laughed. He was all wet. I asked if water was dangerous and he shouted, "NO!" He admitted it was now ok to be wet when he said, "I'll be dry soon."
I took off my shoes and stood in the water. Avi said he didn't want to take off his shoes, although he looked as if he really wanted to! We tapped, "Even though Avi isn't ready to take his shoes off yet and put his feet in the water, he's ok."
We'd been together for 90 minutes and I suggested to Avi that he go home to eat lunch. I also suggested that when he came back, he'd be ready to take off his shoes and go in the water. He agreed.
I told Aliza to put him in dry clothes, but not to put shoes on him.
When I picked them up after lunch, Avi was barefoot. He whimpered and refused to walk on my driveway and Aliza carried him to the chair.
We tapped for "Even though Avi doesn't want to walk on the driveway, he's ok." With that, he walked on the driveway to the pool and got in. He kicked his feet and marched and splashed in place. He splashed me with his hands.
I called David and excitedly told him to drive by my house because Avi was now sitting in the pool! David told Racheli and they could hardly believe their ears! They were ecstatic with the progress that Avi and I had made! David drove by to take a peek. Avi saw him and invited him to come get wet.
What a thrill this was for me. And my constantly skeptical, head-shaking, EFT-disbelieving David asked if I would work with Avi that afternoon to help him overcome his fears of sitting in the bathtub and having water poured over his hair so they could shampoo him.
So, for the next two hours, we tapped for many aspects, alternating between the remaining fears of the pool and the remaining fears of the sprinkler and occasionally throwing in some new fears of the bath. The aspects of fears included...
- getting wet
- water is scary and dangerous
- not wanting to sit in the water
- getting wet is dangerous
- not wanting water in my eyes
- not wanting to pour water on my head
- afraid to sit in the bathtub
- afraid of washing my hair
By the end of our time together, Avi was standing in the middle of the sprinkler, just letting the water cascade over him. He was sitting in the pool and using a cup to pour water over his hair and mine.
I told him that I would come over that night before he took his bath. I asked if he'd now be able to sit down in the water and he assured me that he would!
Later that night, I went to his house for the BATH. After a tentative moment and one round of tapping, Avi immediately sat down. He wanted to pour water on my hair and I let him while I was leaning over the tub. I then asked if I could pour water on his hair and he agreed.
His parents were totally shocked and excited and said, "This is a first!" However, Avi saw nothing to be excited about. This was a "normal" bath and he saw no difference in his before-and-after behaviors. Baths have been going fine since this tapping.
At this point, I'd spent about four hours with him on this day.
I invited him back to my house the next morning. We spent about two hours in the pool and we talked about going to the ocean in a few days. We discussed the ocean, the waves, the sand, the heat of the sand, getting water in our eyes, wiping our eyes with a towel. For each of these aspects, we did a round or two of tapping.
But I wouldn't know the result until we got to the beach.
We've just returned from our week at the beach and I want to let you know we've had a total success with Avi!
At first he was hesitant, pulling back, and whining, but after three rounds of tapping, he held my hand and we walked toward the ocean. As the water ebbed away, I yelled, "Come back, Water!" as I beckoned to it. Avi laughed and yelled, "Come back, Water!" as he motioned with his hands to order the water to return.
The water came closer. And then just that quickly, Avi began jumping the waves, getting all wet, getting water in his eyes, walking on the hot sand, getting all sandy! He loved the ocean. (And he now calls it "Mom-Mom's ocean.")
Getting him to put on his special swim diaper and bathing suit was a bit of a challenge and a very amusing scene for the rest of the family to watch! After I chased a naked Avi around the apartment for a while and then added just two rounds of tapping, he willingly put on these new pieces of clothing!
Again his parents were amazed. They still think that I'm "weird" and of course, they attribute my work with Avi to everything but the tapping! But that's ok with me. They also think that I'm "great" and they've thanked me over and over again for my help.
I'm just so happy! I've made a real difference in Avi's life and I know it. I also learned how to use EFT on such a young child. Avi generally hates to be poked at, but he didn't mind my touching and tapping on his meridian points.
Through this experience with Avi, I've learned so much about building rapport and relationship with a little kid!
What a wonderful skill we have with EFT!
Deborah Mitnick, LCSW-C
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.