- An EFT reference for student and social service use
- Helping a child release school related insecurity and anxiety - visualizing balloons as you tap
- Baerbel Froehlin gives her thoughts on working with children - toilet problems and fingernail biting
- Calming down a disruptive classroom with EFT
- EFT for trauma in elementary school
- EFT in schools: When was the last time you said thank you to a hero?
- Angie Muccillo tells why EFT is an essential tool to teach children
- 10 year old Josh learns multiplication tables rapidly
- EFT helps a child to cope with his hyperactivity and murdered dad - school grades improve
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Making a game of EFT calms restless preschoolers
- Success with a 6 year old: Coughing, Sleep problem and School anger issue
- 45 minutes of EFT on a learning disability brings impressive benefits
- 9 year old boy uses EFT to deal successfully with divorce and school problems
- Zach's fear of dogs
- Magic buttons and no more fear of the hum-hum Monster
- Tapping with kids before a camping trip
- Fear of the dark
- A two and a half year old releases a severe fear after one hour of very creative EFT
- After EFT, 8-year-old boy no longer has fear and panic about being alone in a room
- Handling a child's fear of being home alone
- A toddler's fear of water shifts to excitement in less than 5 minutes
- Child's bug phobia eased quickly by EFT
- Fear of making a mistake, fear of peers laughing at him & bedtime fears due to TV programs.
- Tapping for a 4 year old's constipation leads to relief from her fear of death
- Child's stage fright and bullying incident eased quickly by EFT
- "Is everything poison?" and fear of spiders
- How EFT for a dental fear brought relief to both mother and daughter
- Relieving Juleus' fears
- Doing EFT with children for the fear of water
- Fear of Santa Claus
- EFT for a child
- The Teen who had a fear of showing his face
- 11 year old successfully taps for her own fear of going to camp
- Being bullied, sleeping with the lights on & fear of spiders
- After a few minutes of mental tapping, a baby stops screaming and falls asleep
- Calming down an energetic one year old child
- A seven year old learns EFT and calms his own ADHD
- Creativity with severely disturbed children
- Did surrogate EFT calm this crying, outraged baby?
- An insecure child with behavior problems
- Helping parents whose children have autism
- Andrew: "There are mice in my pants"
- Surrogate EFT for a naughty boy
- An ADHD case
- AT 315 pounds, Tanya is a VERY big 12 year old.
- Clever use of EFT for an 8 year old girl's anger
- AFRAID OF BEING DROWNED!
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbed boy
- How do you neutralize extreme behavior problems in youngsters where nothing else has helped?
- Angry teenager
- Unsociable behavior in a 14 year old boy
- EFT for influencing children to do healthy things
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history
- Angry young boy overcomes an "entity within" using surrogate EFT
- For parents--using EFT with your own children
- Eliminating two food allergies in one session
- Flexible approach to EFT pulls 10 year old boy out of his 'Dark Place'
- Using EFT in a pediatric dental office for sensitive gag reflex
- A "must" EFT procedure for children
- Linda Wood helps very distressed 3 year old girl while mother looks on in total disbelief
- Creative uses of EFT for a child
- Surrogate EFT for two-year-old reduces fever in an hour
- Resolving issues for a frantic, hysterical baby
- Scary commercials
- Loud noises no longer bother 3 year old girl
- SURROGATE EFT calms a boy bitten by a dog and PERSISTENT EFT restores his calm sleep
- Teacher displays many EFT benefits achieved by his students
- Teenage trauma from the Columbine incident & swimming performance.
- Surrogate EFT brings peace to annoying toddler
- Three-for-one phone session - borrowing benefits for mom and two kids
- Using EFT for mosquito bites on a 3 year old - "These itchy boo-boos"
- Children--Gary's Introductory Message
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Surrogate tapping clears severe diaper rash
- Successful Surrogate EFT for his daughter's rejection brings joy to Mauricio's heart
- Teacher helps students with non-academic issues: Abscessed tooth and batting average
- Deborah Miller introduces EFT at a children
- Some EFT guidelines for working with children
- EFT hastens recovery from a concussion and skull fracture
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- A simple way to handle a child's nightmare
- Surrogate EFT for a toddler
- Pain and rash leave in 90 seconds for a 10 year old boy
- Drowning related trauma relief for a 9 year old boy
- Surrogate EFT benefits both mother and child
- Did a few minutes of EFT change this child's life?
- EFT for the child who hates math - was math really the problem? "Mom, you're my hero!"
- Hand washing OCD
- Emotional underdevelopment
- Using EFT for teething pain
- EFT with 11 year old students - SATs and other issues
- Study Links Childhood Trauma to Serious Illnesses in Adults
- EFT being used by children for other children
- TappyBear helps resolve 11 year old's escalating anger and frustration - the real issues come out
- Allergic reaction to horses--swollen eyes.
- Sept. 11, 2001 Trauma Treatment for Children
- How to help a vomiting 9 year old boy from thousands of miles away
- EFT with a 5 year old boy -- reducing childhood baggage
- Angie Muccillo emphasizes the value of tapping on childhood events
- Dyslexia and learning disabilities
- Surrogate tapping for crying baby--over the Internet
- EFT clears severe pain and retrieves a lost voice for an eleven year old girl in forty minutes
- EFT helps a 14 year old girl with emotions related to her parents
- Turning around a manipulative child
- Using EFT as a Mother
- Using EFT with children -- 9 useful thoughts
- EFT for bedwetting
- No more bedwetting--a side benefit?
- MD gives up 30 year medical practice to focus on energy work: Two boys get over bullying experience
- Four year old clears her own cold symptoms with EFT
- Dawn Murray
- Bowling performance and driver's test anxiety
- Kids, Chocolate, Humor and EFT
- EFT provides impressive results in the classroom
- EFT helps Nell's godson learn the times tables
- 10 year old boy overcomes food issue related to Mother's cancer
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- Using EFT with kids
- Surrogate EFT eases the after effects of a sprain for a 4 year old boy
- Pet grief, school (math) performance & cursing/anger.
- WATER IS DANGEROUS !!
- EFT helps children who express their anger by moving their bodies
- EFT persistence brings relief to Bobby's upset stomach at the fairgrounds
- Intense childhood anger reduces to peace via mother's surrogate EFT
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Teaching EFT to 11 year old children
- EFT for an infant's sleeplessness
- Surrogate EFT calms kicking and screaming students
- Helping a restless child to go to sleep
- Surrogate EFT helps sick toddler
- EFT assists 8 year old in giving up thumb sucking
- Surrogate EFT helps a screaming baby on a plane
- EFT for compassionate newborn care -- a Transient Tachypnea (TTN) case
- Shortcut version of EFT enhances classroom performance
- When angry "Teacher-Talk" affects the student's performance
- Surrogate tapping helps restless child sleep
- Successful EFT with a four year old girl who uses her own phrasing
- Molested Boy: Shifting a life forever
- Wisdom from Bobbie Sandoz--relieving trauma at early ages
- A fun way to deliver EFT to children--and everyone gets to smile
- What to do when the student hates math
- An 8 year old girl with an "itchy lump" in her throat: A simple use of EFT
- For children: Using EFT with rhymes
- Using EFT for an autistic child
- Magazine article highlights use of EFT for children
- Surrogate (remote) EFT used to calm children ... or ... how to be a Silent Angel
- Sleep disorder relief for a 17 year old
- Turning Students On to EFT
- Surrogate EFT to help restless kids - or is it a coincidence?
- An unsuccessful case regarding peformance in English class
- Teaching kids to tap
- EFT and Tappy Bear help a shy boy get to kindergarten
- EFT in the classroom
- EFT for pain and nightmares in 3 year old girl
- Lazy teen finds new way to study - adding the right ingredients
- Perpetually terrified teenager gains major relief
- Surrogate EFT to help children sleep - a critical lesson regarding intention
- Surrogate EFT stops a child from biting others
- Using EFT for a 9 year old girl diagnosed as bipolar and as having reactive attachment disorder
- Fear of rain, thunder, lightning, bugs & dogs. Relief for cramps.
- Using EFT for Colic and generally happy babies
- Tapping to clear those decisions we make as children that eventually limit us as adults
- TappyBear helps client to focus
- Car sickness
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- Math test anxiety subsides after being traced to a specific event
- Success with surrogate tapping for a crying child
- Face hot & red, teasing, travel sickness, phobia of dead things, shyness and more.
- Elegant session with 11 year old boy for test anxiety
- Family effects
- 13 year old boy gets relief from uncontrollable twitching
- Tapping turns NightMares into
- What can children ages 8-13 do with EFT on their own?
- A very detailed message on a young girl's motion sickness
- Helping children sleep and socialize--AND--two lactose intolerance cases
- Teaching EFT to children - a detailed account
- Helping children to express their 0-10 feeling intensity
- Using humor and metaphors while applying EFT for children: The Frog in my Throat
- Using EFT Rhymes for children
- Using EFT and Max's imagination to get rid of his headache
- Resolving a child's severe abdominal pain -- a likely Urinary Tract Infection
- EFT for babies
- When a child cannot sleep in her own room
- Stuttering child
- Surrogate EFT for a baby with hiccups
- An EFT newcomer helps her daughter
Calming down a disruptive classroom with EFT
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Accolades to Eva Chang for successfully using EFT to calm down a classroom full of disruptive students. This case points up yet another essential use for EFT in schools. Eva also provides a one month follow-up to at the end of this article and answers questions that she received.
I am the President of a local healers' group, the Healing Arts Alliance of Tampa Bay. The organization was contacted by a teacher at a high school in St. Petersburg. The teacher was hoping that some alternative approaches could be used to de-stress the students for their final exams and for the dreaded FCAT tests. (Achievement tests that must be passed for the students to graduate)
I went and worked with two classes of kids. I would guess that they were about 14 or 15 years of age. I had no idea what pandemonium awaited me when I arrived. The first thing that happened was that the teacher locked my purse in a cabinet in the back of the classroom "because things have a way of disappearing."
As I surveyed the room, I was amazed. The kids don't know the meaning of attention span. They were jumping around, talking, walking around, kicking the doors, shooting baskets in the wastepaper basket, and generally being either hyperactive and disruptive or sullen and non- communicative. Let's just say that it was the "non-magnetic" part of this magnet high school. It was not exactly a sedate suburban environment.
When I asked for a show of hands of who in the class was worried about final exams next week, and only 1 or 2 kids half-heartedly raised their hands, I knew I was in trouble. My usual New Age approach to energy medicine would not have worked for these kids, so I had to do a lot of improvising.
I started out by demonstrating muscle testing a stressful event (final exams next week) and then doing something really fun and enjoyable (I didn't ask!). The boy I worked with was pretty strong, so that got some attention. I then worked with another boy who indicated that he was very anxious about the tests next week
I had the whole class tap along on the one class final test that they dreaded most. I did shortcut tapping for a few rounds, then expanded the tapping sequence to the whole EFT Basic Recipe. As I got to the eye-rolling part, I sensed a strong and strange energy shift in the boy I was working with. I can only describe it as a sense that his eye movements became difficult for him. I usually am able to really tune in and pick up on my patients' issues when we tap, and I usually find myself saying all sorts of reframed affirmations as we tap. This time, I felt almost like the boy went into a trance during the eye-rolling part. In any case, we got his anxiety level down from a "20" to about a 2.
Meanwhile, the rest of the class was actually tapping along, and some admitted that it seemed to help their test anxiety. I had them tap several times on "Even though I think Dr. Chang is a nut case, I love myself and am willing to try this" or something to that effect.
After several rounds of tapping, the whole class had calmed down. I actually had the attention of most of the kids and most of them were actually tapping, doing energy medicine exercises, listening to my suggestions, and even doing some guided imagery exercises. I was actually able to lead the class in some visualizations for success in test taking. The boy that I worked with ended up putting his head on the desk for the rest of the class, and not saying anything after I reduced his test stress. His teacher later told me she was amazed, because he was usually one of the most disruptive kids in the class, and she usually had a problem getting him to be quiet.
Anyway, it was a real eye-opener for me. It was inspirational and depressing at the same time. I don't know if any of the kids will follow up and do what I taught them, but as the saying goes, if even one kid gets something out of what I did, then I will have made a difference. I will be following up with the teacher to see if any of the students are continuing with their EFT.
Eva Chang, AP, CHt, EFT-CC
It has been about a month since I worked with the teens in the classroom. I followed up with the teacher recently to see what, if any changes resulted from my visit.
She was very excited. The boy that I worked with, who went into the trance-like state when I did the eye movement segment with him, had been a problem child. He was overactive and a slow learner. The teacher said he was very low functioning academically. He had received a failing grade on every test he had taken in her class. The week after my visit and his EFT session, he got a "B" on his final exam in her class! She couldn't believe it. She was so pleased that he got the positive feedback of getting a good grade.
I have been invited back to work with a group of juniors and seniors who have already taken and failed the FCAT test. The test in March will be their last chance to pass so that they can graduate. Already, some are talking about dropping out. Maybe EFT and energy work can help some of them. I am excited about the possibilities.
I had many questions after my article was published on the EFT website. Here are some points I made in email responses to these questions:
Questions regarding parental concern over what I was doing:
I am a licensed acupuncturist, so working with the energy meridians is within the scope my practice.
The class I worked with was of a socio-economic background where I wasn't particularly worried about very much parental interest in their children's schooling. Sad, but that's basically true.
With regard to the muscle-testing I used, I felt that I needed to do a little "grandstanding" with muscle testing to get their attention.
I think that if I had been in a suburban environment where I felt that parents might get bent out of shape about voodoo medicine, that I would have taken a slightly different approach.
I made it totally optional for kids to participate. It was sort of "Let's try it and see if it works for you." Almost like a demonstration of something that I do for myself, which works for me, and which they were free to investigate for themselves.
Suggestions if parental concerns might be a problem:
I think if you just had the kids do a shortcut, and maybe just tell them it's a relaxation technique, you could still get good results.
For instance, have them tap on the top of their heads, rub their faces, rub their wrists on both sides, and their ankles on both sides. This still accesses all the meridians, and it doesn't look so wierd. You could suggest that it's a little trick to calm down the nervous system by stimulating and calming the head, face, and arms and legs.
They don't have to tap, either. You can do EFT by holding points and doing a cycle of an inhale and exhale on each point. So if you did the above routine with just an inhale and exhale, it would just look like a simple breathing/calming exercise.
Ways to incorporate EFT and Energy Techniques
I would suggest that you might be able to get the whole class to do some energy exercises including a shortened version of EFT. Done on a regular basis, this will help to calm the whole class down. From my experience, even if you select a specific issue for everyone to tap on, there is a general calming effect from doing the tapping.
I guess I would suggest starting with some shortcuts on a very specific item -- maybe a quiz that you are about to give to the class. See what kind of relaxation and calming effect you can get for the kids after 2-3 rounds or more of tapping. Hopefully, they will recognize the benefits. This will also be enough to get some "halo" effect of calming them down generally.
Later, expand to more of the recipe occasionally, for more topics.
Perhaps you could also use EFT on a "topic of the day" as well as calming students prior to a test or evaluation, just to get them in the habit of doing it.
But most important, do it often and consistently. Put some humor into it. If you poke some fun at yourself while doing it, as I did, ("Even though I think Dr. Chang is a nutcase, I love myself and am willing to give this a try"), I think the kids are more likely to tap along.
I also use some of the energy exercises as described in Donna Eden's book, Energy Medicine. Doing the Wayne Cook posture and figure 8's in particular is very helpful for calming and focusing.
As for the individual students that have special problems, you may want to work with them individually. Children with ADD and ADHD as well as allergies and sensitivities that cause negative behaviors can also be helped with NAET (Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique). I use NAET a LOT in my practice to help chronic health problems, emotional problems, etc. NAET is used with great success for kids with ADD and ADHD, and even autism. The last annual symposium had a presentation from a nun in India who is using NAET on the kids in the school that she runs for kids who are retarded, autistic, have behavior problems, etc.
I have worked with some kids that are hyperactive, and I have used regular acupuncture/acupressure as well as EFT and NAET. Most of the kids I work with are coming in for other health problems though, including headaches, sinus allergies, food allergies, etc.
Food allergies can be the source of a lot of behavior problems. Putting kids on an elimination diet and then correcting the food sensitivities with NAET works great.
And yes, you could do surrogate tapping for specific children.
Eva Chang, AP, CHt, EFT-CC
Back to Using EFT With Children--Main Menu
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.