- Fears And Phobias
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
A client gives a detailed account of what agoraphobia relief is like
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Here is a marvelous example of what it is like to be agoraphobic and to have the problem lift with tapping. This detailed account comes from Jill Phillips, who was blockbound with agoraphobia for 22 years. She graphically portrays the severity of her former panic reaction and takes us inside the mental and emotional experience of having the problem vanish.
This story is particularly important for current agoraphobia sufferers who might find tapping to be "too weird to be true." It gives a road map to relief.
I am not a great writer or a therapist, just a person who had a very bad phobia.
I was blockbound for 22 years. I could only go on half of my block because I had Agoraphobia. I would get overwhelming panic if I went past my safety spot which was four houses up my block on the south side of me. I could go to the corner with some anxiety to the North. I am in the fourth house from the corner on the North side. So, in total I could only walk eight houses
I also had a great deal of panic while in my house but I found out about 6 years ago that I had a lot of food allergies and they were causing a lot of my panic. But even after I found out about the food allergies and the panic was greatly reduced, I still couldn't leave my safety zone.
A friend of mine knew a therapist that did both EMDR and TFT [the forerunner to EFT]. I didn't know anything about either of them so I read some materials that the therapist gave me. I thought TFT sounded ridiculous but I was interested in EMDR.
Gary, before I go any farther I want you to know that I had extreme panic when I would try to leave my safety zone, I mean really bad. I never knew how I was ever going to get out because I just could not do it. The panic was very, very overwhelming. I would pray and tell the Lord, that I just could not go with the amount of panic I felt unless he took it away.
The panic I felt was like if you were in a plane thirty thousand feet up and jumped out and realized your parachute was not going to open, That is how bad it was. And I have never taken medications of any kind because (1) I was afraid of them and (2) I did not have a shrink that lived on my block. So anyway here I was sitting on my couch with a therapist that came to my home and who was going to show me how to "tap" my panic away. How dumb!!!!
I thought I would play along with her and do the tapping so she would see that it wasn't going to work and then get get to work with EMDR. She asked me to think about going for a walk and asked me on a scale of one to ten where would my anxiety level be. I thought about it and told her probably a nine. Then she had me tap on the beginning of my eyebrow, under my eye, under my arm and my collar bone and then do some really weird stuff which included tapping on the back of my hand while moving my eyes around and humming and counting.
After I did it I thought "what a nut," and I am going to pay money for this? So she had me bring up the thought about going for a walk again and on a scale of one to ten where was my anxiety level. I couldn't think It was like the thought was gone or something. I just sat there and tried to get the thought but the thought seemed far away. I told her I didn't know, the thought was kinda gone and she said to use the first number that comes into my head. I said, "Ummm. maybe a three."
Then she said, "What else are you afraid of." I told her "being alone." She said, "On a scale of one to ten where is your anxiety level?" I thought and then I told her, "Well I really don't have anxiety when I think about things, I really don't feel anything. I am just guessing where I think it might be." So she said, "Lets go for a walk." I thought ok, here it comes. We will go out the door and come to the fourth house. Then I will do this dumb tapping thing and tell her it doesn't work, duh, and then we will go back and we will do the EMDR--which seemed to me much more believable than this tapping thing.
So we walked out the door and started walking up the street. I was wondering if she was going to be really upset with me when I tell her it doesn't work. I thought she would probably get mad and get in her car and leave and that would be the end of it. I thought she might think that I was not even trying. So we get to the fourth house, and no anxiety. We go to the fifth house and still no anxiety. We go past the seventh and up to the eighth and I stopped dead in my traces, turned and looked at her and said, "What is going on. I have no anxiety and no panic. I don't understand. We haven't done anything yet." (I thought, did this lady put a spell on me or something?)
She said, "Yes we did. We tapped in the house." I said, "I thought you were just showing me how. I didn't know that it DID something." So we walked all the way up to the end of the block. I had no panic, no anxiety and I didn't have to fight anxious thoughts and talk to myself to try to keep myself calm.
The last time I was at the end of that side of my block it was with a group of people who tried to get me to see if I could do it, and I felt like I was going to die. I had dry mouth, pounding heart, a feeling of unreality, and a huge feeling of doom. Now here I was seven years later with no panic and all I felt was excitement and feelings of joy and freedom. I was amazed !!! About all I could say was, "This is amazing." How does tapping do this? I couldn't believe it.
We went back home and I told my husband. Then I wanted to walk up again, to make sure it was real, that it wasn't going to disappear. So we walked up again. Then I wanted to go by myself with the therapist and my husband standing on the sidewalk by my house. I walked up the block, nine houses from mine, alone. The only time I had any anxiety is when I looked down at the sidewalk and saw some pornography written there. I tapped and the anxiety left.
I walked up the block seven times that day. After the therapist left, all I could think of was WOW, am I glad she showed me this tapping thing. Me and my husband walked to the other end of my block and around the corner to the end of the other block. Then we walked up the alley, to the end of the block and around the corner to that end. I must say, that I was amazed but I didn't go hog wild, I went slow.
The next week my therapist came out again and this time we went in the car. It had been years since I had ridden in a car and I had to get used to the feel of it. I had forgotten what it felt like and I had forgotten how fast they go. Before we left, I tapped for riding in a car and going farther. We went three blocks. At about two blocks I started to get really panicky. I was at a ten and my mouth was all dry. So we stopped and I tapped and it went away and the spit started to come back in my mouth in seconds.
About three months after I started the TFT, I ordered Dr. Callahan's TFT manual, The Rapid Treatment of Panic, Agoraphobia, and Anxiety. The TFT is good and that is how I started my first steps, but I have been using the EFT since. I have been using EFT since my fourth month of getting out because I found that the TFT wasn't working as well any more and I couldn't afford three thousand dollars for the Voice Technology. So I use the EFT now and it works all the time. I really don't do the short cuts because it really doesn't take that long to do the long form. And I do not want to risk having a really bad panic.
I have only used the EFT for getting out and I know that I still have a lot of work to do. I have not tapped for abuse in my childhood or for being raped twice when I was in my early twenties because I do not really know how to go about it. I have only seen the therapist three times. One time in March of 99 and two times in April of 99.
Being housebound for 22 years and my husband being the only one bringing in money, we do not have a lot. I have downloaded and printed out your manual and I have downloaded the advanced transcript. I still have a lot of work to do. I haven't tapped for the fear of being alone yet. I don't know how to go about it. I have gone about two miles N, E, S and W of my house which is a lot for me. I have eaten in a restaurant and I go shopping with my husband once a week. I love grocery shopping !!!! I have been to Church and I go in various stores.
But even with this success I am still cautious, I still have fear that the EFT is not going to work. I even have fear of getting rid of the fear and of being afraid that the EFT is not going to work. Like if I got rid of the fear that maybe at some point it won't work and it would leave me open to making mistakes and having a really big panic attack. So it is like I have to be careful and not take my freedom too lightly. Does that make sense?
GC COMMENT: This is normal. While tapping for the fear of the fear will likely take you still farther in your recovery, it is probably best that you take gradual steps. Go 2.5 miles and see what happens. Tap if you need to. Then repeat for 3 miles. Then 5, 10 and 20 miles...so on. Chances are, you are already over the problem. But why risk it when you can ease into going longer distances?
Anyway, I am really happy with where I can go and what I am doing. 22 years is a long time. But I would like to get to the place where I can jump in a car and travel across America if I want. Do you think that is possible ? I hope my story helps someone. EFT does work, and if I hadn't been stuck for so many years I would be more at ease with just going for it, just letting loose. Thank you for listening,
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.