- Fears And Phobias
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
This case details the succesful handling of a lifelong (34 years) phobia and contains 3 useful EFT concepts for your study:
1. How using EFT while just thinking about the fear can collapse all or most of the problem.
2. How testing the phobia in a real situation can bring up remnants (untreated aspects).
3. How to apply EFT to an aspect when the underlying cause cannot be found.
Here's the story.....
"Steven," a friend of my family, was exposed to EFT two years ago at a Colorado workshop. At that time, he volunteered to have EFT applied to him for his lifelong fear of "bridges over water." This was an intense phobia that occupied his thoughts and dictated where he could and could not drive. It also influenced who he could see (depending on where they lived) and was a frequent source of embarrassment.
In the Colorado workshop, of course, there was neither a bridge nor a body of water--just a room inside a building with nothing but walls, chairs and an audience. Thus, EFT could only be applied while Steven "thought about" the problem. As seasoned EFT'ers can attest, however, this is often sufficient. As long as thinking about the problem brings up all the aspects for tapping, then the relief is likely to be complete and hold up in the real situation.
In Steven's case, EFT allowed him to vividly imagine his "bridge over water" fear with no intensity whatsoever--something he had never been able to do previously. This was progress--big progress as far as Steven was concerned. However, there is always a lingering doubt until the fear is tested in the real situation.
Interestingly, Steven did not test his fear in the real circumstances. Was it because he moved to an area where there were very few bridges and very little water? Or....did he just not believe that the EFT relief would hold up in the real circumstances (and thus was hesitant to test it)? There's no way to know for sure.
However, two days ago Steven showed up at my family gathering and, of course, our conversation centered on his "former phobia." Even though he still had some doubts, he asked me to put his phobia relief to the ultimate test by DRIVING ACROSS THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. What greater test could there be? The bridge is over a mile long and passes several hundred feet over very deep water.
Of particular interest here is that HE ASKED ME for the test. This was a classical sign that significant relief had occurred in Colorado. If he really had the fear, and not just a doubt, he would have avoided that request at all costs. He would have preferred to spend the day kicking a stack of bricks with his bare feet.
So, as we approached the bridge the conversation went like this....
GC: We are about 30 seconds away, how are you feeling?
STEVEN: Mildly nervous but I think I'll be OK.
GC: You can tap if you want.
STEVEN: I don't think I need to. We'll see.
45 seconds later....
GC: OK, we're on the bridge. How do you feel?
STEVEN: (smiling) Fine!
GC: Let me get in the right lane so you'll be closer to the edge. Now look out at the water. How are you doing?
STEVEN: I'm still OK. This is marvelous!
GC: How else can we test this?
STEVEN: By walking out to the middle of the bridge and looking straight down over the railing.
GC: Let's do it!
I parked the car on the other side and we began our walk to the middle of the bridge. On the way, however, we needed to go through an underpass that was about 50 feet long and very high above the ground. About 3 or 4 steps into the underpass Steven became "queasy" (his term) and ranked it at a 4. This, of course, was an untreated aspect. So.....we stopped right there to tap. The mini-session went like this...
GC: (Looking for an underlying issue) What does this remind you of?
STEVEN: I haven't a clue. I've had this feeling before but there is no past memory I can link it to.
GC: Well, take a guess.
STEVEN: I draw a complete blank.
GC: OK, tap the Karate Chop point and repeat after me. "Even though there may be an underlying issue here,"
STEVEN: Even though there may be an underlying issue here,
GC: And I don't know what it is.
STEVEN: And I don't know what it is.
GC: I deeply and completely accept myself.
STEVEN: I deeply and completely accept myself.
We then proceeded to tap the EFT shortcut points (using "this underlying issue" as the reminder phrase) and, after repeating the process two more times, the queasiness went to zero.
Please note that just tapping on "this queasiness" instead of "this underlying issue" would likely have gotten the job done in fine fashion (for a good example of how well just tapping on the symptom can result in complete relief, please see the segment on "Dave's fear of water" in the EFT Course). However, I took aim at any possible underlying issues because, to do so, gives us a better chance at complete relief. Which method you choose to pursue, of course, is up to you. I only provide this alternative to expand your possibilities.
After this brief episode, all fear vanished and Steven and I walked out to the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge where 30 mile an hour winds were churning the water below. Steven and I stood there for several minutes while looking straight down over the railing. He had no fear--no queasiness--no apprehension--and, this time, no doubts.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.