- Fears And Phobias
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
A fear of flying case with a unique twist
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to (1) consult The Gold Standard EFT Tapping Tutorial, (2) Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
We have many examples of how EFT can reduce or eliminate the fear of flying. This one by Eileen Sullivan is particularly interesting because EFT seemed to have collapsed her major fear EXCEPT for the takeoff. But why? Her exploration into this problem, and how she solved it, makes great reading.
In 2006, I attended the EFT Masters Boot Camp in Denver, CO. I had a serious fear of flying, so getting from my home in North Carolina to the workshop was a challenge for multiple reasons. I've since worked with several clients who are afraid to fly, and I attribute our successes in part to things I learned in making the trip.
A little background first. As a child and teenager, I was a very frequent flyer. From the age of 10 onward, I often flew unaccompanied on cross-country flights to visit my dad. Each year, holidays and summers found me traveling by air. By the time I entered college, I was a veteran air traveler.
My sky miles continued to accumulate after my marriage, as my husband was in the military. While he was stationed in Germany, I flew overseas with our three young children all by myself, several times. I never learned to completely ignore turbulence like my frequent flyer dad, but I was generally very relaxed and confident on a plane.
It was the 9/11 terrorist attack that changed my attitude about air travel. I was absolutely terrified to get on a plane after that day. I was scheduled to attend a conference in Albuquerque less than a month afterward, but I found a reason to stay home instead. Secretly, I wasn't sure I'd ever fly again. Even the planes flying over our house, which I'd never even been aware of before, made me nervous.
Over the next several years, I became very familiar with the train schedules. If it wasn't convenient to drive, I'd take the train. In 2005, my young daughter and I went from NC to Ohio on the train - a 28 hour trip each way - to attend a friend's birth. There was no way I could have flown, especially not with my little girl along. Even 4 years later, my memories of 9/11 were just too intense and scary. For whatever reason, this was not something I ever chose to address with EFT. But then the opportunity to attend the Masters Boot Camp came up.
When I made the decision to attend the Denver workshop, I seriously considered taking the train. The problem was that it would've taken three days to get there, and four to get back! Very reluctantly, I made reservations to fly. I had to tap on myself for a day and a half before I could even do that. Then I had to tap like crazy on my fear of flying, so that I could even think about actually getting on the plane when the time came.
Even though I'm so scared I can't even imagine setting foot on a plane…
Even though I'm terrified to fly now, after 9/11…
While those were pretty global statements, I had to take the edge off before I could start tapping on my memories of 9/11. When I finally got to that point, I had probably 100 or more aspects (see Finding Aspects within the EFT Tapping Process), all at a 10 on a scale of 0 to 10 in intensity. It took a lot of tapping to get those calmed down. Some of them, I couldn't even put words to. I just remembered the visual images and my strong emotional reactions to them, and tapped. And tapped, and tapped some more.
When the day came to fly to Denver, thanks to EFT, I felt at peace with the idea of getting on the plane. I did have a few butterflies in my stomach but I felt this was probably "fear of the fear." Little did I know that the Universe was going to help me test my work!
I arrived at the airport only to find that it was in chaos. According to the news, British authorities had just uncovered a terrorist plot to blow up more planes. Multiple suspects had been arrested that morning, and as a result of this new information, all security measures had been dramatically heightened. Lines were enormous. There were more armed security personnel patrolling the terminal than I had ever seen. Huge signs were posted in front of every counter, informing travelers of new restrictions on liquids that could be carried on the plane. And the security screening was very detailed and intense.
As I moved my trusted bottle of Rescue Remedy from my purse into my suitcase which would be checked, my stomach lurched a bit. That Rescue Remedy was my crutch, just in case my butterflies were more than anticipation. Curiously though, aside from that, I really wasn't alarmed by all the hubbub. Remember, I had just tapped extensively on planes, terrorists, bombs and what-not!
After processing through the immense security line, which was chock full of people who seemed particularly nervous or harried that day, I noticed that I hadn't been swept up by that "air of anxiety." That was a nice side effect, and unusual for me. As I made my way to my departure gate, feeling calm and comfortable, I smugly applauded EFT in my head. After checking in and doing a few precautionary rounds of finger-tapping while looking at the plane through the windows, I settled down and peacefully read a book until it was time to board.
Although I had been concerned I might've missed a few aspects that would show up as I actually got on the plane, nothing happened. All was completely routine. I felt fine as I walked onto the plane and took my seat. Hooray for EFT! I was on my way to Denver and the workshop.
Smiling happily to myself, I went back to my book. Eventually, the door was closed and the plane backed away from the gate. I had tapped for those events, so they were completely uneventful for me. Then we were cleared for take-off, and the engines began to rev. Still fine. Until, that is, the plane actually left the runway and the g-force began to build. As I was pushed back against my seat, a sharp and sudden panic almost took my breath away.
In an instant, my level of intensity went from an absolute zero to 1000 on a scale of 0 to10. I had no idea what was causing this - well, aside from a disruption in my energy system, of course. But as to why it was there, I had no idea.
The g-force continued to increase, and I found myself white-knuckling and clutching the armrests. I still felt like the breath was being squeezed out of me too, which was very alarming. I began tapping "with intention," just imagining tapping at each point. That wasn't helping quickly enough, so I moved to tapping on finger points. Finally I was so triggered that I didn't care what anybody might think about the "odd" look of full-on EFT.
I started to tap on the face points and collarbone, skipping the underarm point due to the confined space, and the set-up and reminder phrases because I was already very tuned in to the terror!
Gradually, the panic attack subsided. It helped that the plane was already leveling out at cruising altitude by then. I didn't want to go through the same thing when we landed, so I worked on that before I stopped tapping.
I spent the rest of the flight deep in thought, digging around for whatever I might've missed that caused that intense reaction to take-off. It had never bothered me before, and I couldn't come up with a reason for the change. My 9/11 memories didn't have any links at all to taking off.
Strangely, I had absolutely nothing but "fear of the fear" when we landed. A few rounds on my fingers took care of that. But I still had no idea why I'd freaked out so badly when we took off. And why take-off, but not landing? I continued to ponder those questions on and off until the workshop started. Then I got totally engrossed in enjoying the experience, the learning, and the wonderful people, and the issue slipped my mind.
Cut to the rapidly emptying conference room, just after the end of the workshop. I was talking to a newly-met friend, who was considering a trip to a well-known theme park I had recently visited with my children. She was asking me about some of the new rides, and I was happy to share our experiences with her.
One ride, in particular, had already gotten a reputation as being dangerous. A couple of people had actually died after riding it, and news articles indicated that the theme park was considering making modifications even though they insisted the ride was safe. Against my better judgment, I had actually ridden the thing even though I knew all this. Not surprisingly, I had a very rough time of it and had been absolutely terrified during the entire ride. I was describing this to my friend when I had the classic "a ha!" moment.
My friend had heard the story of my in-flight panic, and she's an experienced EFT'er too, so when I stopped short and my expression shifted, she recognized immediately what had happened. She encouraged me to verbalize it and tap (see The EFT Tell the Story Technique - The Workhorse Tapping Method), which was very helpful.
It turns out that my reaction to the increasing g-force at take-off came from my experience on this theme park ride. Riders pull high g-forces, and the ride is unusually long, with multiple exposures to these forces. The whole time I was stuck in the tiny "capsule" of this ride (which seemed like a lifetime), I had been both terrified and afraid I was going to die. No wonder I reacted so strongly to a routine take-off in an airplane! And no wonder I wasn't able to find the reason for my reaction in my 9/11 memories.
If I hadn't had those blinders on, I might've been able to discover the issue and avoid/better reduce that panic. Ah well. Live and learn.
After tapping on "this 'I'm going to die!' ride" and all its aspects, I had a very calm and peaceful flight home - including the take-off. Based on my experience, I now ask the question, "What does that remind you of?" with particular interest, and encourage people to look beyond the obvious. It seems to be working really well!
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.