- Fears And Phobias
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
Up, up and away--the fear of flying
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Yesterday I flew to Southern California for my high school reunion (my 40th--sigh!). As the plane was about to take off I heard the lady behind me say, "Airplanes terrify me!!" It was too late to do anything about it at the moment because the engines were roaring and the plane was rumbling down the runway. Within moments, however, we were up, up and away into what was soon to become the friendly skies of EFT.
This story has a happy ending (surprise, surprise) as do most of the case histories brought onto this forum. In addition to the general story, however, I thought I would dive into some of the details of the process. This way we can get a closer look at the inner workings of the case with the hope that some of us might find ways to expand our "art of delivery."
About 10 minutes into the flight I turned and looked over the back of my airplane seat as I introduced myself to "Ginny." I was a stranger to her, of course, and had to ease into rapport if I was to make use of this strange appearing technique in front of a planeload full of people.
"Did I hear you say that airplanes terrify you?"
"Yes, they always have."
"How are you doing now?"
"Right now, I'm very calm. It's the take-off that really gets to me."
Now this is important. Subtle, but important. When she said she was very calm, I didn't believe her. At least I didn't take her literally. Not that she was lying to me, mind you, but I find that clients' words don't always reflect what they truly mean. Call it experience or intuition if you want, but what I interpreted her as REALLY saying was, "Right now, I'm very calm compared to what I was during take-off--but I'm still really tense."
So I said, "There's a 50% chance that I can help you get rid of that fear painlessly." (Note: I used 50% in this case because 90% to a newcomer is probably outside their beliefs--and thus a rapport breaker).
"Are you a psychologist?"
"No, but I teach the technique to psychologists and therapists all over the world." (Note: you might say, "I'm a therapist and am one of hundreds around the world that are using this technique successfully.")
"Are you going to hypnotize me?"
"No. Are you familiar with acupuncture?" (Note: I'm searching for a hook within her belief system on which I can hang EFT)
"Have you had it done to you with success."
"No, but my daughter has."
"Well, this is a psychological use of the acupuncture meridians. Only we don't use needles. We tap with our fingertips while repeating some words. It's quite painless but it also looks a little strange. Want to try it?" (Notice the link between her belief system and EFT--"this is a psychological use of the acupuncture meridians...").
"I know you feel relatively calm now (plugging into her earlier statement and injecting the word 'relatively') but are there any physical sensations in your body that might be related to the experience of being on this airplane?"
"My head feels heavy."
"On a scale of 0-10 where 10 is the heaviest your head has ever been and 0 is no heaviness at all, estimate where it is right now."
"About a 5."
"OK, just tap here (I demonstrate the karate chop point) and say these words whether you believe them or not." (Note: I often ask them to say the words whether they believe them or not. This seems to unload what, to some, are awkward statements. Also note that those who truly don't believe the PR affirmation statements will still have an emotional reaction which, of course, leads you right into a significant tappable issue).
"Even though I have this head heaviness, I deeply and completely accept my self." (she repeats this statement)
"Even though I don't deserve to get over this head heaviness, I deeply and completely accept myself." (she repeats this statement) (Note: I intuitively chose to use this "deserve" level of the PR correction. I believe it was useful because of the knowing expression that appeared on her face as she said it. I suspect we could have solved the problem without it but this probably got to the core a little quicker. A thank you to Dr. Fred Gallo for developing this as well as the "safety" level of PR correction. I included the safety level next even though, intuitively, I didn't think I needed it).
"Even though it may not seem safe to get over this head heaviness, I deeply and completely accept myself." (she repeats this statement)
Ginny tapped the EFT shortcut sequence (EB through UA) and went from a 5 to a 2. One more round and she went to a 0. She was impressed. I then had her imagine the take-off and she could only get to a 3. One more round and she went to 0. I then had her vividly imagine her worst take-off experience and asked her to exaggerate the entire experience to try to get herself upset. She couldn't get above a 0.
Then I noticed that she was strapped into her chair so I asked her if she would be willing to unbuckle her seat belt and walk up and down the aisle. She said she would be a 7 or 8 if she did so. Again, I didn't believe her statement. Intuitively, I thought she was done. People will often expect to have an intense emotional reaction to a formerly fearful event BECAUSE THAT'S THE WAY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN. Their reaction, I often find, is to what they THINK it would be--not what it would actually be. Nonetheless, in the interest of minimizing pain, we did two rounds on "walking in the aisle" and it went to 0. She unbuckled her seat belt and, for the first time in her life, walked up and down the aisle with complete emotional freedom.
I asked Ginny to let me know if she had any more intensity as the flight proceeded and then resumed sitting in my seat. She had no problems for the entire flight. When we landed, the plane appeared to be going faster than usual and the pilot had to rev up (reverse) the engines to a greater degree than usual in order to slow the plane down. This made a much greater than normal (and scary) racket which caused just about everyone some concern (me too). When it was over I turned to Ginny and asked her, "How was that?" She laughed and said, "It was kinda fun."
Is Ginny done with her fear of flying. I think so. However, the proof is always in the real life situation. If she flies again (she is more than willing to do so) she may have some intensity on the take-off. If so, she is likely a round or two of tapping away from complete resolution of the problem.
Hope this helps, Gary
Note: About 5 months later Ginny called me stating that she had been on airplanes several times since and has had no problems whatsoever.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.