- Fears And Phobias
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
This one may show up on national television--The Discovery Channel.
It is also an important case because it illustrates three vital points regarding EFT and a stubborn phobia....
With EFT, it doesn't matter how long the client has had the phobia or how intense it is. What does matter is how complex it is.
The value of persistence. It often prevails when we are unable to apply a more artful delivery.
After a phobia is cleared with EFT, some clients still exhibit above average caution regarding the feared object. This is normal BECAUSE THE CLIENT IS LACKING EDUCATION with respect to the item that they have spent a lifetime avoiding.
About 6 weeks ago I was asked by The Discovery Channel film crew to fly to Phoenix, AZ and apply EFT to an "impossible snake phobia." It was considered impossible because it was extremely intense and the client had had it for nearly 40 years. As it turns out my efforts were quite successful even though the road to success wasn't exactly a freeway.
Upon arriving in Phoenix I was escorted by the film crew to a desolate ranch where the temperature was over 100 degrees and where there was nothing but a horse corral, a few acres of corn, a building or two and dusty land for as far as I could see.
And...oh yes...Byron Wilkerson was there, too.
Byron is a professional cowboy....a rodeo star with the handsome ruggedness of the Marlboro Man. He has a cowboy "twang" in his speech that accents his heroic western persona. He could walk right out of an old time western movie.
Like other heroes, he walks and talks with an invincible air of confidence and fearlessness. And all this was real....until....
he saw a snake...
or saw a picture of a snake...
or heard about a snake....
or even had a thought about a snake.
And then the macho stuff disappeared as his "walk tall" gait wobbled under his rubbery knees. His hand twitched, his stomach tightened and he felt panic all over his body. A true phobic response.
After Byron and I spent a few minutes getting acquainted, the cameras started rolling and I began applying EFT to him for his general fear of snakes. I was purposely being global here because he was already nervous and I wanted to take the edge off.
"Even though snakes annoy me...."
"Even though I have this unwanted reaction to snakes..."
He had absolutely no belief that this process or ANY process would work for him. To him, it was impossible. He was only there because he promised the film crew that he would give it a try. Within the first 2 minutes he began laughing out loud at me. He thought this whole tapping thing was ridiculous (even though I had tried to explain it to him up front). Fortunately, he had agreed in advance with the film crew to stay with it. That, plus my congruence about the process, kept him around. Otherwise, he would have been long gone.
I then shifted approaches and used the Tearless Trauma Technique on two specific snake related events in his past. One was when he woke up from a nap with a rattlesnake crawling on him and the other was the memory of his cousin allowing snakes to crawl around his (the cousin's) neck. These were easy. Two rounds each of EFT and those previously intense memories were neutralized.
Ahhhh...this was going to be easy, I thought. Just decimate his various snake memories and we will collapse the foundation under the phobia. However, upon asking for more memories he said he "couldn't remember any more." That's odd. Here's a guy who has been deathly afraid of snakes for nearly 40 years and he could only remember two specific events? Hmmmm.
I prodded for more memories but ran into a blank wall. I suspicioned that his snake phobia was a metaphor for some intense childhood memories and, if we were alone and not on camera, I would have pushed until I found them. However, this macho man did not agree to such probing on camera. I had to respect that.
Sooooo, since I couldn't address what I thought was the bulls eye, I was left with straight EFT and persistence.
As it turns out, the film crew brought a book filled with pictures of snakes and, even though we had collapsed two of Byron's specific snake memories, he still could not go near that book. His hand was twitching at the mere presence of it and he was about ready to run out of the corral. So I had the book placed on the ground about 30 feet away and tapped for his present fear....
Even though that book scares me....
Even though my hand is twitching....
Even though it is only ink on paper and there is no real snake....
A few rounds of this and he was calm. He was amazed at his lack of fear and said....
"How did you do that?"
Then we brought the book about 5 feet closer (to 25 feet) and his fear response resumed (although it was only 50% of its former self). A few more rounds of EFT and he was calm again. Then 20 feet...then 10 feet...then 5 feet....
And so on it went until Byron had the book in his lap and ran his fingers over the pictures with no fear response whatsoever. He was impressed and, once again, said...
"How did you do that?"
Next, the film crew brought out a computer with a movie of snakes on it. These were nasty, slimy, crawling, attacking, fang-filled snakes that would have put the snake scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark to shame. Byron watched this movie with very little fear--only an occasional grimace when a snake coiled up and attacked. But a few rounds of EFT with Set Up statements like....
"Even though I'm afraid of a computer screen...."
"Even though I know those computer snakes can't harm me, I'm afraid of them anyway...."
....and Byron was calmly touching the computer screen right where the open-mouthed fangs were. Once again he said....
"How did you do that?"
That was the end of day 1. He still had not seen a live snake (which is the ultimate test for our procedures) but that would come tomorrow. Please note that I think I could have collapsed this whole thing in 15 or 20 minutes if I had been able to play detective and find the big issue(s) underneath the phobia. As it was, the first session took over 2 hours of non-stop EFT'ing. This is important to keep in mind for those who think 10 minutes is adequate persistence.
On day 2, I asked Byron to re-visit the memories we had previously collapsed and he reported that he had no intensity about them whatsoever. Success. No pieces to pick up here.
I then had him hold the book and run his hand over the pictures. Again, no problem. We were apparently thorough enough to collapse all the aspects around both the book issue and the memories. The computer screen wasn't available so I couldn't test that part of it.
So, onward to the ultimate test. The film crew hired a snake expert to bring two caged snakes into the corral....a dangerous rattlesnake and a harmless boa constrictor. Byron knew this was going to happen and, despite all our previous work, he became very nervous at the sight of the snakes. There was, apparently, something about live snakes that wasn't present while we were addressing the memories and the pictures.
The snake expert held the glass cages (with the snakes in them) about 50 feet away and gradually brought them closer as I persistently used EFT on Byron. Incidentally, they ONLY came closer with Byron's permission. At all times I told him he was in charge regarding how this process progressed.
To Byron's amazement, he actually touched the glass cage without his hand twitching and without feeling he had to run. However, he was still a bit nervous and this experience, which was clearly a dramatic improvement for him, was still not his favorite thing to do. He even announced quite convincingly....
"But I ain't touching no snake."
I accepted that and our session drew to a close.
At this point one might conclude that EFT had failed to give the ultimate relief...namely...Byron touching at least the harmless snake. However, that would be a false conclusion. You see, Byron has heard that some snakes are harmless and some are dangerous. But, deep down, HE DOESN'T TRULY BELIEVE IT. As far as he is concerned ALL SNAKES ARE DANGEROUS and are to be avoided. Why take chances? That is his belief.
Byron and I spoke about this at length and I offered the following metaphor, to which he emphatically agreed....
Suppose someone shows you a pistol and demonstrates that it isn't loaded. Then he stands a few feet away and points it at your head. Are you just going to sit there and let him pull the trigger? Or are you going to be prudent and move? Just because the gun appears not to be loaded doesn't mean it isn't loaded. Why take the chance if you don't have to?
And that is how Byron sees snakes. They are all dangerous. That is his education on them. So, until his understanding of snakes changes, he will treat all snakes as dangerous and isn't about to start petting them. Given his beliefs, neither would I. This is normal caution on Byron's part....it is not part of a phobia. This is very important to understand. Otherwise, we may think we failed to "get it all" when all that is needed to "finish it off" is proper education.
The really good news here is that 15 minutes after we finished our session, the snake expert put one of the snakes on the ground...outside the cage....so the film crew could video tape it. Byron was standing about 15 feet from it and was completely aware of its presence. He carried on a normal conversation, had no rubber knees, no twitching hand, no panic reaction. In short, he had no phobic reaction whatsoever. Just the normal caution that his beliefs required.
About 3 weeks later, Byron called me on the telephone to report that he had seen several snakes in the interim and at no time did he have a phobic reaction. This is unheard of for him. After we both acknowledged how strange this procedure is he said...
"After the results [I experienced] I don't care how idiotic it is. You made a believer out of me."
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.