- Fears And Phobias
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
In my experience, when EFT doesn't appear to work it is almost always because we haven't found the REAL issue yet. This article by Chip Engelmann helps us all dig deeper under these circumstances and discover the true core issues. Spend some time with it. It contains many helpful ideas.
We all know EFT works for phobias, right? At workshops, it’s easy to use a phobia to demonstrate the power of EFT. I ask for a volunteer who has a phobia and pretend that EFT may or may not work, but of course I feel pretty cocky about it. It has not failed yet. Lately, however, a couple of clients have given me pause.
The first was a 14 year-old girl who came to me with depression. Like many, she did not know why she was depressed. She told me the death of her grandfather made her sad, and we worked through that sorrow fairly quickly. I asked her what she was afraid of, and she said her mother told her the family was in debt. We worked through that insecurity rather quickly as well.
Then she told me she was afraid of balloons. I like working with phobias early on in my client relationship for a couple of reasons: (1) they are typically easy to clear and (2) they often have a big influence on a person’s life. When a client witnesses the release of a phobia, on a gut level they understand the power of EFT. But that type of quick success was not going to be the case with this young lady. On short notice I only found a single balloon to test our success. We tapped on:
Even though I’m afraid of balloons... And we got the level of intensity (scale of 0-10) to zero.
But we couldn’t bring the balloon near her. I asked her to tell me why she thought she was afraid of balloons, and she told me that her brothers and friends used to tease her with balloons. They would chase her and pop them all around her. She told of one time when she hid in the closet and they were outside taunting her.
Even though they teased me with balloons...
Even though I’m afraid of the popping noise...
Even though I’m afraid they’ll sneak up on me...
Even though I’m afraid of balloons behind me...
Even though I’m terrified in the closet...
Each time, we brought the level of intensity to zero out of 10. By this time we had made enough progress that she was able to hold the balloon in her hand, although she did so as if she were going to get cooties from it. We set the goal of breaking the balloon with a mechanical pencil to test whether she was over her fear. We tapped and explored.
Even though I don’t like the way balloons feel...
Even though I’m afraid when the balloon is too close to my face...
Even though I’m afraid of the air that comes out of the balloon when it breaks...
Even though I’m afraid of the noise when I break the balloon...
Oddly enough, each time we took the level of intensity to zero and she would feel she was now ready, she couldn’t bring the pencil closer than an inch from the balloon. It was harder and harder to find aspects of the fear of balloons to work with. She was no longer afraid, but still she could not bring herself to pop the balloon. Then it hit me. Something else was going on here. I tried to look at the big picture, at everything she had told me.
Even though I’m afraid that if this works for my balloon phobia, I’ll have to deal with what’s really scary, my depression...
It worked. She took the pencil and struck the balloon - but it wouldn’t pop. She hit it again, and the balloon bounced away, but wouldn’t pop. She hit it again and again, even with my razor knife, and it wouldn’t pop. Laughing, she gave up. When she did, the balloon brushed the knife and exploded. She jumped a little, then laughed. The fear was gone.
Another client was a woman in her sixties who came to me with a cleanliness compulsion so severe that she moved in with her mother. She also told me of her fear of heights.
As I like to have quick success with a client, I decided to work on the fear of heights first. My office is on the fourth floor and the fire escape has an open steel grate that you can see through. If a person is afraid of heights, we tap on it and then go there to confirm success.
We worked on a general fear of heights until she was comfortable about going down the hall to the exit door. She did not experience any fear until she looked outside and saw the grates. We worked on clearing the fear of the open grates, and she was able to step outside for a very short time. We worked on the fear of being up high, and the fear of being exposed.
She told of a time when she encountered an open grate stair when she had to transfer trains quickly, and that she managed to do it only by sitting down and sliding from step to step. We worked through this and she was able to go out on the steps for 30 seconds or so before she became “uncomfortable.”
Although she could not distinguish her “uncomfortable” feeling from her fear of heights, it was obvious that something else was going on. She guessed it had something to do with her older brother’s death. The event had occurred when she was between one and two, and she had no memory of it other than what she was told by her family.
The boy was born as a twin, one of which was believed to have been stolen by the doctor at birth and sold. The remaining twin (the aforementioned boy) accidentally drowned at the age of 10 while playing with friends. My client’s mother was devastated to the point of being emotionally disturbed for years. What emerged was that my client was all about protecting her mother. She was the survivor about whom her mother thought, “If anything happened to you, I would just die.”
This was the key to her discomfort on the walkway. By exposing herself to the danger of heights, my client was putting her mother at risk. Here was another case where a phobia was not just a phobia, but was tied to and expressing a much deeper issue. The deeper, core issue needs to be addressed before the phobia and other expressions of the core issue can be eliminated for good.
However, she has not yet felt ready to go further with EFT. But when she is ready, we have likely discussed the REAL issue.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.