- Fears And Phobias
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Note: This article assumes you have a working knowledge of EFT. Newcomers can still learn from it but are advised to peruse our Free Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tutorial™ for a more complete understanding.
Pamela Bruner helps her client resolve a common "fear of public speaking."
Sasha (not her real name), is a successful personal coach. Although she was very comfortable in one-on-one sessions, she was extremely nervous at the thought of presenting to groups. However, she wanted to start giving teleclasses, and felt that getting over this fear so she could present comfortably would be better than 'toughing through it.' I agreed.
I asked if she had a particular fear of presenting to groups on the phone, or whether her fear was just groups in general. She felt that the fear was the same regardless of whether it was in-person or on the phone group work.
When I asked if she had any memory related to this fear - had she presented badly, or been laughed at by a group, even as a young child? She said that she had never had such an incident, and this didn't seem related to anything. Although I believe that there is always something that disrupts the energy, I chose to go with the event that was causing intensity - the imagined future teleclass. Also, sometimes the past event will surface while tapping.
I asked what, specifically, she was afraid of. She said 'I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake', 'afraid that I'll appear incompetent', and 'afraid that I'll look stupid.' [GC COMMENT: One possibility for finding a specific would be to ask questions like, "When in your past did you appear incompetent or look stupid?"]. She rated the fear at an '8' intensity on the 0 to 10 scale. I felt intuitively that the affirmation of the setup should be modified, so we used:
Even though I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake, and look stupid and incompetent, I'm open to deeply and completely accepting myself anyway.
I'll make a mistake
I'm afraid I'll look stupid
What if I forget what to say?
I'll look incompetent
Note: I find that the reminder phrase 'this fear' does not seem to be as effective a way to keep my clients' attention on their issue, compared to saying aloud the thoughts that are running through their heads.
We did a complete round, using all points. Sasha reported that the fear had dropped to 6 on a scale of 0 to 10, so we did another similar round, simply modifying the setup to Even though I still have some of this fear that I'll make a mistake...
At this point, Sasha reported that the fear had dropped to 5 out of 10. I told her that 5 was a great number, where we could start playing a bit more, and said that I might use a little humor. She thought that was a great idea.
Even though the world will end if I make a mistake in my teleclass...
Even though everything hinges on this teleclass, maybe even world peace, I choose to love and accept myself anyway.
The reminder phrases were similarly silly:
I've got to do it right or the world might end. Everything depends on me being perfect. The fate of the world hinges on my perfect teleclass.
At the end, Sasha was laughing and said that the fear was now at a 2-3. I asked her if she had to guess, what was keeping the fear in place? She said that she was afraid that without the fear, she wouldn't adequately prepare for the teleclass.
She also reported at this point that something else was coming up - she was now feeling guilty that she had carried around this fear for so long, and it had kept her from doing group work and helping people in this way. She reported the emotion as 'regret and sadness' with an intensity of 6 out of 10.
Even though I have this regret and sadness because I've had this fear for so long, I choose to love, accept and forgive myself anyway.
I should have gotten over this fear before this.
Why didn't I get over it before this?
I've been playing small.
I could have done group work before this.
I feel all this regret.
I'm sad I didn't deal with this before
(Going into a second round without stopping, we switched to:)
What if this was the perfect time for me to deal with the fear?
What if I just wasn't ready before?
What if I could trust that this is the perfect time for me to start giving teleclasses?
What if now really is the perfect time?
What if I could forgive myself?
I choose now as the perfect time to start group work.
I choose to forgive myself for my fear,
I'm doing the best I can, and that's good enough.
Sasha reported that the regret was completely gone at the end of the double round, and that the fear was still at a 2-3. An originating event had still not presented itself at this point, but we were making good progress on the fear and other related aspects, so we continued focusing on the teleclass.
I asked her what she would really like to communicate to the teleclass participants, and how she would like to feel. She said that she would like to come across as warm, confident, caring, and positive.
Even though I have to keep this remaining fear so I'll adequately prepare for the teleclass, I choose to consider that I could be warm, confident caring and positive instead.
I have to keep the fear
I won't be prepared if I don't keep the fear This fear is making sure that I will prepare
Nearing the end of a full round, and beginning a second round, we shifted to:
What if I don't have to keep the fear?
What if I could prepare without it?
What if I could prepare from a place of caring, rather than fear?
What if I could prepare from a place of confidence, rather than fear?
We finished the second round with:
I choose to be warm, confident, caring and positive.
At the end of her session, Sasha now reported that her fear was at a 1, and was quite happy with that level. I suggested to her that it might drop on its own to a zero (hopefully setting her up to look for that if it should occur.)
I asked her to visualize giving the teleclass, from setting it up to picking up the phone, talking to people, etc. She said that she felt a little nervous about the technology, but knew that she could walk through that with the help of a friend. She had no fear about the idea of speaking to the group, and recognized that was a different aspect from her discomfort with technology.
She expressed some concern that the fear might return, and I explained that in my experience, an additional aspect might surface, such as her discomfort with technology, but that usually the fears that were dissolved remained that way.
To keep her fear from spiking from any additional aspects that might surface, and from the 'fear of the fear', I also suggested that she tap every day until the teleclass using the following setup and reminder phrases:
Even if I'm tempted to go into fear, I choose to focus on being warm, confident, caring and positive. One full round with the reminder phrase (negative): I might feel afraid One full round with the reminder phrase (positive): I choose to be warm, confident, caring and positive.
Follow-up: Sasha gave the teleclass last week. She had done no additional tapping. She reported that she was still a bit nervous when it started, but that soon dissolved as she continued. This is in contrast to previous in-person events at which she would get more nervous as she continued. She reported 'I wouldn't have even been able to do it without the EFT session - I was paralyzed with fear. Instead, I really enjoyed this teleclass, and am looking forward to giving more.'
In retrospect, I believe that she actually felt that 'a few nerves are a good thing'. This will be something else to check for in the future.
Neither one of us know where her nerves came from, and I suspect that there is still a core issue to be worked on - however, we achieved her desired result on the presenting issue.
Another success with EFT!
Pamela Bruner, Success Coach
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.