- Fears And Phobias
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
In this well written article, join Ellen Dyb Wedeld as she overcomes her intense fear of tunnels by driving through some of the longest tunnels in Norway. This an excellent article for EFT students as it is a very complicated case and addresses many aspects. It also involves recognizing the "fear of the fear" which is an important concept to recognize when delivering EFT.
Dear EFT'rs everywhere,
I am a devoted student of EFT, and I'm very much looking forward to opening up my practice within a year. Meanwhile I use EFT on myself, and anyone who'll let me, and have experienced so many one minute wonders, that I sometimes have to remind myself of the value of persistence!
I have learned so much from the case histories on the EFT newsletter list, and I hope my contribution will be useful.
I have suffered from tunnel-phobia for the past few years, progressively getting worse and culminating in a terrible panic-attack 2 years ago. And then...no more tunnels for me. The phobia was
A mixture of agoraphobia, claustrophobia, and the remains of a major depression+anxiety and panic disorder (long gone now, luckily!!!)
What motivated me to REALLY work on it, was that I had to visit my father who had recently moved to western Norway. It would mean A LOT to him. It would also mean a lot to me to be able to travel again, and this was a golden opportunity. An incredible number of tunnels lay between us, though...
First I got hold of the database of all the tunnels in the country, with all possible information about length, lighting, ventilation, rescue systems etc. I also bought an updated map so as not to be surprised by any unknown tunnels. I marked the map with the length of the tunnels, lay the map out on the table, and just CRIED. It looked HOPELESS!
In my despair I noticed a strange feeling; It was like I had been wearing a strait jacket for years. Everyone had noticed it, of course, it looks quite strange, but I hadn't noticed it because I had been sitting still for so long! Now I was trying to move, and could feel it on me, restraining me!
(In my despair I did not think of working directly on the strait jacket with EFT ... I think that might have been a good idea!) I sat up all night downloading pictures of tunnels on my computer, using the scariest one-a black tunnel opening, as screensaver. I looked at the pictures, doing the tapping,
*Even though I hate the black tunnel-opening...
*....................the tunnels are too long...
*....................the tunnels are too dark...
*....................I'm afraid I'll have another panic attack...
*....................I'm afraid to freak out like I did before...
I did the complete "sandwich", with the 9 gamut every time, but forgot to check the 0-10 intensity.
I didn't feel noticeably better, so I sat down in my "quiet" room to pray, and tap. First I prayed (or, rather begged) to God and The Universe for access to my infinite power, courage and light. I then continued with the tapping, and adding some choices;
*Even though the tunnel is terribly dark and narrow, i choose to experience that it's like driving on an open road in the sun...(I used Dr. Carrington's Choices)
*Even though the tunnel is horribly long, I choose to experience it as short and quick...
*Even though I might have to go places I don't want to, If I don't have this phobia, I choose to let it go..
I did several complete rounds of these, and then, some positives only:
*I choose to have FUN in tunnels...
*I choose to be calm and confident...
*I choose to experience the tunnels as filled with light and sunshine...
*It's like driving in the sunshine...
*I am safe in tunnels....
*It's just a road...
I was calmer, but didn't know if it was from pure exhaustion, I was still afraid of being afraid..
The following morning I asked my partner if he would take me on a test-tour of the nearby tunnels (he is very understanding and patient about my problem). What I had in mind was starting small with some of the nearest, smallest tunnels. He, on the other hand, thought it was a good idea to go for the big ones straight away! I was torn between the possibility of freaking out, and a strong urge to get on with my life, so I let him drive on. I was bringing my notebook, and was monitoring myself and taking notes of my thoughts and physical reactions.
Knowing there were long tunnels ahead, I felt only slight nervousness. I tapped, just in case, the full rounds, saying the words internally; ..this fear of tunnels...
When I could see the opening far ahead (the tunnel was 3,8km long) I got more uneasy, started to cry and wanted to stop. Then inside the tunnel;" fire" in my chest, feeling faint, feels narrow, long...
I tap on every symptom (without the setup). I start to hyperventilate, and feel loss of sensation in my lips and extremities...tapping, while only moving the lips:...
*I choose to be safe, calm, and relaxed (talking s l o w l y)...
I immediately feel the energy shifting, like a big "flake" of electricity is lifted off me..
*I choose that my heart beats calmly....
*I choose to get enough air...
This calmed me down completely, doing it really slowly seemed to be important.
When we got out of the tunnel I felt fine, besides a little numbness of the lip!
After a celebratory coffee/croissant break in a small town I hadn't been able to visit for years (for obvious reasons) my partner decided that we should go through the WORST tunnel I know of. I had long ago decided to never, ever in my life go anywhere NEAR this tunnel. And that anyone that did, had to be TOTALLY stupid. But his arguments were good, if I did this, I would have done the impossible.
This was a 7,8 km long, steep, narrow, UNDERWATER tunnel. But my phobia wasn't about accidents or disasters that might actually happen, only fear of fear, and strange bodily reactions. And I didn't like the thought of being limited in that way; being ok in some tunnels, and not in others. So I went for it.
We first had to stop and wait for awhile, at the turnpike in front of the opening. I was crying, and tapping and tapping without words, (I wonder if had I been able to say the words out loud, that it would have worked?) and meanwhile the drivers passing by, wondered what was going on in our car! 30 min. went by, and I just couldn't get "ready". So my partner just drove on, I didn't have the strength to stop him.
As we went downward into the tunnel, my anxiety level rose, I felt a flaming, flickering sensation in my chest, a lack of air, a "prickling" feeling in my nose and forehead, as if I didn't get enough oxygen...I closed my eyes.. When I opened them again, I could see an infinitely long and straight road going towards a black hole far down there.. My chest was on fire, and my face, I began to remember panic..
I then made myself start tapping - the whole rounds, and very slowly:
*I choose to be calm and confident... This was repeated several rounds.
To say anything about the heart felt to scary! When we began the ascending, I was able to keep my eyes open (while still repeating the choice), and feeling totally calm!!! On the way home, we passed through several other tunnels, including me driving through some of them myself, with no problems whatsoever.
But, later that evening, I suddenly got a delayed reaction of fear from the underwater tunnel, remembering the narrow and dark downhill. I regretted having done it, and felt a desperate need to have it "undone", I almost panicked. I started tapping immediately: The anxiety vanished even before I reached the fourth point!! Gone...!
The end of the story is that 2 weeks later I Was able to hug my very happy father, who had lost all hope of me ever coming to visit. There is a crazy number of tunnels between us, long and dark and dirty, and what not, but I had NO symptoms, neither driving myself, nor as a passenger, not anticipating the tunnels, seeing the black openings, the inside, the length, nothing. Only, on the return home, a little uneasiness "Fearing the Fear". In preparation for the journey home, and during, I tapped vigorously for: "I trust myself..."
Now, a month later, I notice that I have "lost" the fear of a lot of things - a very nice side effect. Only a little fear of fear remains, it's just an old pattern that is being replaced little by little. But I am NOT afraid of tunnels (I have fun in tunnels!)
Ellen Dyb Wedeld
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.