- Fears And Phobias
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
A model case for all complicated phobias
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
This case by Tania de Winne, MD of Belgium stands as a model for EFT'ers dealing with stubborn (complicated) phobias. Although it deals with an unusual phobia (involving a navel), Dr. de Winne's persistence and attention to emerging aspects provides us with many lessons. Note how she deals with the client's beliefs in "Hara" and "Dreamcord." It doesn't matter whether these beliefs are true but it DOES matter that the client believes in them.
A very dear friend of mine, let's call her Leslie, hasn't been able to clean her navel without huge amounts of willpower. The mere thought of it makes her complexion turn white, with bloodless lips and she's on the brink of throwing up.
Her belly button is like a narrow canal and she has to use a Q-tip to get to the 'bottom' of it, because soap and dead skin cells tend to form a little clog in there.
She's familiar with EFT and applies it diligently every day for her muscle- and neck pains, for stress, for mother-issues, for the downside of her perfectionism, but with her navel-problem she was stuck. She was also afraid of having to face overwhelming emotions alone if she would apply EFT for it on her own (premonition?) and she knew that I was looking for someone with a problem to solve, that could be tested on the spot. So, I went to her place and here goes:
The first thing she told me was that a psychic woman, in whom she puts a lot of trust, had told her that her 'hara' had been damaged while her umbilical cord was being cut at birth. She is also taking a metaphysical course and one of the exercises involves activating your dreamcord to be able to remember dreams that are important for your evolution. Too bad that dreamcord appears to be attached somewhere near the navel and she's always blocked in the exercise near the end of it.
Because only thinking about her navel or something being attached there or someone or herself touching it made her feel visibly sick (I could see her turn white and tears coming to her eyes), I thought it better to start with the 'hara'-thing and then the dream-cord-thing.
"Although my hara was damaged when I was born, I deeply and completely accept myself and I ask my higher self to mend it." Tapping: 'damaged hara' and 'remaining damaged hara'. Meanwhile I was muscle testing myself to 'see' if the hara was whole again. 3 complete rounds of the basic recipe did the job and we moved on to: "Although I can't seem to be able to activate my dreamcord, ...", "Although I can't seem to be able to extend my dreamcord all the way up and down, ..." Testing myself again told me that this was also fixed.
After that, Leslie was able to think about her navel and her dreamcord being attached there without getting nauseous AND she was already able to gently stroke her belly in the vicinity of her navel.
However, just thinking about having to clean her belly button brought all the intensity back. She had a Q-tip and a little bottle of Rescue (Bach Flower remedies, because it contains alcohol to disinfect and Rescue remedy to help her overcome her fears and the trauma of cleaning it) standing on the coffee-table nearby and just looking at it made her wince in agony. We didn't need to do an intensity rating, it was obviously more than a 10.
Although I can't even think about my navel without feeling sick and anxious,...
Although I can't touch my own navel...
She burst out into tears and shook all over her body with a fear of death in her eyes. I started tapping on her: 'this fear of death', this existential fear' and she calmed down within seconds.
Then Leslie recounted a rebirthing class that she took over 10 years ago and that she had completely forgotten about. She couldn't even remember the techniques she was taught (talk about repressing a bad memory): she was in her mother's womb and it felt like her mother was pushing and squeezing her abdomen so hard that Leslie felt she was choking to death in the womb (she doesn't know for sure whether her mother really did that, it just felt like that now and her mother never told her something like that).
While telling the story, Leslie was grabbing her throat and curling up in a fetal position. The fear of death was obvious. Apparently she had been lying there like that in that rebirthing class also and the teacher panicked because he could hardly get her out of that state. But with EFT: no problem!
"Although my mother didn't want me, ..."
"Although my mother tried to kill me when I was still inside of her, .... and I forgive her, because I know why she did what she did."
(this statement took about 8 repetitions, before the PR would clear, but Leslie wants me to emphasize that she doesn't actually know that her mother tried to do that, at least not on purpose, she just didn't know what to do about the pregnancy being away from Belgium living near Montreal, far away from supportive relatives).
"Although I felt like I was choking to death, ..."
"Although the fear of dying was overwhelming, ..."
"Although I don't have words for what I was feeling as a fetus,..."
"Although I put all my fears in and around my navel,..."
With every statement tears welled up in her eyes, but went almost as quickly as they came. Sometimes I tapped for her, because the rheumatism in her muscles make her arms tire rapidly.
The overwhelming emotions came and went, but were wearing her out and we took a little tea-break. Leslie is a very tenacious woman and she really wanted that navel-problem solved that night, otherwise I would have proposed to call it a night and resume on a later date.
She was now able to put her index slightly over her navel, without feeling anxious, so we continued:
"Although I'm still not able to clean my navel, ... I choose to clean it without feeling sick or without needing willpower to overcome my anxiety."
"Although I can't put my pinky in my navel, without feeling sick, ... and I choose to be able to touch my navel like any other person."
Her intensity went to a zero after this and she decided it was time to put it to the test: she took the Q-tip, put some Rescue on it and very carefully cleaned out her navel! There was some intensity returning, because she was arduously trying to get the last 'cell' out, but I tapped on her and it went.
I thought we were through, but she wasn't done yet! There was also the problem that no one else was allowed to touch her navel! I could stroke her belly, but only nearing her belly button was enough to bring that fear of death back to her eyes.
"Although I think I'll die when someone touches my navel, ..."
"Although I shrink at the idea of someone else touching my belly button, ..."
"Although I don't allow anyone else to touch my navel,... and I choose to feel comfortable when someone does."
By now I could put the tip of my pinky in her belly button, but the thought of me pushing my finger further down, made her nauseous again. We discussed the fact that it wasn't necessary for a 'stranger' to put a finger in someone's belly button and decided to leave it at that.
We called her husband in and tested if he were allowed to touch her navel. While he was attempting it by stroking her belly and nearing the 'danger spot', I saw her intensity rise again and started tapping her CB point. That calmed her down and he could lovingly place his finger over her belly button, without her cringing away.
SUCCESS!!! Thank you EFT and thank you, Gary for providing us with so much video material to study, to make this a piece of cake (ahem). A lifelong problem, originating in the womb, solved within a mere 3 hours...
It was well after midnight when I reached my home, but I was fully energized by this small step for humanity: Leslie can clean her belly button and can allow others to touch it!
Leslie was worn out and fell in to a deep sleep (she mailed me the next morning).
Now, two months later, she takes pleasure in touching her belly button (in a manner of speaking) and can clean it when necessary, without willpower or anxiety.
Dr. Tania de Winne
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.