- Fears And Phobias
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
A few years ago I was visited by Maya DeVries at my home in California. I was impressed by her command of EFT...AND...the fact that she came clear from Germany to see me. How delightful. We have corresponded from time to time since then regarding her use of EFT and the workshops she runs in Germany.
Recently she sent me this informative case history on what seemed to be a simple height phobia. As it unfolds, however, it turns out to be quite complex. Please observe as Maya expertly discovers some specific events that form the underlying cause behind this phobia.
P.S. I add some helpful comments within her message.
The woman from Holland, I will call her Rosie, came for a session because of her fear of heights. I thought it would be a quickie but it turned out to be a very complex case.
Rosie was very height phobic, her main fear being going down a steep stairway. Now, you might not know this, but Holland is famous for its steep staircases, especially in those wonderful Amsterdam mansions along the canals.
I usually start by asking a client to give a 0-10 intensity rating for the general statement: "I am afraid of (in this case) heights". She gave herself a 9.9 for that. Then I asked her to give me her first association with that general statement and she started telling me about a recent visit she had with her dance teacher in Amsterdam. This woman lived on the third floor of a canal mansion. Going up the steep stairs Rosie already mentally panicked at the idea of having to descend again at the end of the evening.
I then asked her (thanks for that wonderful tip, Gary) to teach me how to be afraid of heights, thus forcing her to really describe in detail what thoughts go on in her head and monitor her body sensations.
GC COMMENT: This "teach me how to do it" technique is displayed in our video set "Steps toward becoming The Ultimate Therapist" in the session with "Craig and his Bashful Bladder." The idea is that the client can teach me to have the same problem s/he has, then I can get into the intricacies of their mental processes and be more efficient with EFT.
MAYA CONTINUES: She described her fear this way: "You are at the top of a staircase and you want your foot to go down towards the first step but you know that your legs will not respond to your will power. I don't even dare trying. My legs go weak. I am sucked into the deep." I noticed that her breathing got really shallow and quick when she explained the process of her fear to me.
GC COMMENT: A point of interest....sometimes the fear of heights (and staircases) is contributed to by the feeling of being sucked downward by the converging lines one sees from the top of a building or a staircase. A clue to this is the client's statement..."I am sucked into the deep."
MAYA CONTINUES: I then checked for fear of other height situations:-
1. flying (not nice; fear of the space underneath the airplane.)
2. balconies (really afraid; had to sit through an opera performance in the second balcony row lately)
3. mountains (fear of narrow footpaths; fear of driving serpentines in the Alps. "I don't trust myself; I will drive into a ravine; I will not be able to brake."
4. crossing bridges (fear of the empty space left and right; fear of crossing the small ridge between the two sides of a movable (pull-up bridge) on a bicycle - a very Dutch situation!)
But we came to the conclusion that the staircase was her highest fear.
We tapped a few rounds monitoring in on the stairs but didn't make much headway. I had asked her to be very attentive and tell me if any other emotions besides fear came up. By then I realized this one wasn't going to be as easy as the regular fear of heights client.
All at sudden tears came to Rosie's eyes and she told me about a traumatic event which happened when she was 14 years old. While waiting for the train at some railway station in Holland she and her friends had been jumping over a chain which hung between two poles. Just as the train arrived and the other girls were already moving away, Rosie decided to take one more jump. Somehow her knapsack hooked onto one of the poles, she stumbled over the chain and came down face first on the pavement, smashing her front teeth. She lost consciousness and when she came to again the first thing she asked her friends who were standing in a circle around her was: "Am I not dead?".
We tapped for her sadness about this event. We tapped for her personal truths: "Falling is dangerous", "if I fall I might die", and: "falling can destroy". She quickly went from 8 to zero for her sadness. Then I had grown-up Rosie forgive teenage Rosie for her recklessness. After this she was able to just look at the event as something unfortunate which happened to her when she was young.
I then expected to be able to tap down her fear of heights in a few rounds but something else came up while we were struggling to get lower 0-10 intensity ratings.
She told me another story about a traumatic event when she was in third grade. Her class went on a trip to Utrecht (large city in the center of Holland) to see the cathedral. They went up to the tower - by this time I was smiling inwardly because I personally had my first fear of heights experience on that very same tower in second grade! Once they were at the top of the tower, however, she was unable to look over the balustrade because she was too short. Her teacher noticed how she was trying to see the view of the surrounding old part of the city and picked her up from behind holding her, pressing her waist against the stone balustrade (breathing restriction!). Rosie asked her teacher to put her down again but he told her to enjoy the view some more because they would be going down soon. When he finally put her down she had to press herself against the secure center tower wall away from the balcony. From this her height phobia was born.
We tapped for anger at her teacher and then for the fear she experienced during the event.
We could now go back to the Amsterdam staircase and all of a sudden I got the picture: Her height phobia was pending and kept at bay between these two traumatic events: her third grade teacher holding her back ("my legs wil not respond to my will power"!) and near death unconsciousness waiting for her once she would lift up one foot from the floor to descend ("I am sucked into the deep").
I had her really tune in to this picture and tapped with her. Magically her 0-10 intensity went down very fast. She was beaming and told me that she could now see herself actually going down the Amsterdam stairs.
I had her imagine herself in an airplane, driving in the mountains, on a balcony etc. Only the gap in the bridge still needed another round of EFT ("I can now put my foot on the gap!")
I love to do an immediate success check if I can. I so happen to live in a 3-story house with a balcony on the top floor. I suggested she could accompany me upstairs if she wanted to (two flights of stairs, not too steep). We first looked outside with the door balcony door closed and she told me she wanted to try to go outside. I stepped onto the balcony and observed her as she carefully stepped towards the balustrade. She stood there completely free of any fear and was able to get really close and look all the way down.
GC COMMENT: I'm a great fan of testing whenever possible. This is what lets you know if you are successful...OR...if you have more work to do. The ultimate test in this case, of course, is to go back to the previous locations that were causative of the phobia. This is not always possible, of course, but, if you can, it will likely bring up the remaining aspects (if any).
MAYA CONTINUES: That was a very fulfilling Sunday afternoon indeed.
Love from Germany
Maya de Vries
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.