- Fears And Phobias
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Steve Eriksen from the UK takes us through a successful experience with a VERY STUBBORN fear. In this case, the fear had to be overcome or the client would likely die.
I thought you might be interested in this case study. My client was close to death from anorexia – so close the doctors gave her hours or a few days at most to live when she was finally admitted to the hospital.
But her problem was she needed to have blood tests on admittance – without them they couldn’t treat her. And my client was strongly phobic to blood tests. Although Elizabeth reacted extremely well to treatment she was definitely a case of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Or rather, 10 steps forward, 9 steps back.
Elizabeth (not her real name) had a strong phobia for blood tests which was stopping her getting the treatment she needed for her anorexia. Although she was very close to death from lack of nutrition, the doctors at the hospital couldn't help Elizabeth unless she was willing to submit to blood tests. Unfortunately, Elizabeth's fear of blood tests was stronger than her fear of dying from anorexia. As an adult the hospital needed her consent before taking the tests.
The phobia came from several angles, including feeling out of control, feeling abandoned by her mother during a blood test as a child, pain during previous blood tests, and of course, as an anorexic, successful treatment following blood tests would mean weight gain.
Although Elizabeth didn’t like needles, the phobia was much more about blood tests. She had been given injections successfully several times as an adult, and had relatively little problem with this, so we couldn't focus on a specific thing like the needle and syringe.
At the end of the first treatment we had made great strides. At the beginning just the mention of a blood test made Elizabeth feel physically sick, and when we started describing the process she would go through she had very strong phobic reactions. There were many aspects such as rolling up her sleeves, showing her arms, the tightening of a strap around her arm, the light tapping on her blood vessels to make a vein stand out, etc.
We continued treatment for over an hour on this process, and by the end of the treatment Elizabeth was able to go through the whole procedure in theory. That is, we would describe the process aloud whilst performing the actions: rolling up her sleeve, putting our fingers around her arm to represent the strap, tapping on the veins, describing how we would take the needle, put it in and pull her blood out, then pull the needle out.
However, people with anorexia tend to suffer from a chemical imbalance in the brain, causing problems with memory, reasoning and more. Elizabeth therefore had problems sustaining benefits from the first session, and when we started the second session Elizabeth had slipped back to the point she was reacting nearly as strongly again to the suggestion of blood tests. It seemed virtually most of the progress had been lost.
In the second session we performed further treatments. We worked on many of the aspects that trigger her fear of blood tests, such as seeing a needle and hearing the crackling of the wrapping. We had obtained a needle from the local doctor's surgery for this purpose.
We were very worried Elizabeth would take a step backwards again, or that we hadn’t covered every aspect of her phobia. The second treatment took place the afternoon before she went to the hospital – if we hadn’t managed to cover every aspect, and she refused to have the blood test done, she couldn’t be admitted, and she would likely have died.
So we decided to use as many techniques as we could to avoid triggering the phobia. Often a phobia is triggered by certain sights, feelings, touch or smells, so we asked Elizabeth to describe everything she could think of that was a part of the experience.
Next, we used EFT to build up new associations using Choices. The crackling of the unwrapping of the needle represented unwrapping a specific gift she'd been given in the past. The tightening of the strap around the arm became her boyfriend hugging her tightly. The smell of the hospital became associated with her grandmother, who was always cleaning and therefore surrounded by smells of cleaning products.
There might have been other things she could see or sounds that would trigger the phobia. We therefore decided to direct her attention elsewhere by asking her to play loud music through headphones, and look away and describe out loud items on the wall, before and during the blood tests.
Bear in mind that in the past, Elizabeth’s full attention and focus had been on the blood test itself – watching carefully the needle going in, how the blood was extracted, watching the needle being pulled out. She had problems with all of these aspects and they all acted as strong triggers. By diverting her attention away from these aspects we hoped we significantly decreased the chance of the phobia being triggered.
The treatment plan for Elizabeth to use during blood tests consisted of a number of steps:
- Inform the doctor or nurse that Elizabeth would use a specific therapy plan to enable her to go through with the blood tests.
- Instruct the doctor or nurse to avoid using the words "blood test" as this could trigger specific a phobic reaction. Instead, the doctor or nurse was instructed to tell Elizabeth it was time to listen to her music.
- Use the EFT treatment routine as taught during the sessions.
- Employ distraction techniques during the blood tests, including looking away, concentrating and describing to herself or out loud items in the room.
- Have music playing loud using an MP3 player to drown out any sounds and to help overwhelm the senses.
GC COMMENT: In my experience, these distraction type techniques rarely work by themselves. Combining them with EFT can bring much greater results. Also, my guess is that further probing for specific memories regarding blood work would bring even greater benefits.
STEVE CONTINUES: As Elizabeth's memory was suffering, this plan was provided on a sheet of paper, laminated for longevity and protection, showing the complete treatment points on one side and the specific instructions to Elizabeth on the other side. The doctor or nurse was also provided with an information sheet.
Were the distraction techniques using music and looking away describing items really necessary? We’ll never know, but Elizabeth believes this was key to her managing to go through with the tests. Having complete instructions written out was critical as well to ensure success as Elizabeth said she wasn’t able to remember it on her own.
Let me also add that Elizabeth was told to keep tapping throughout the procedure, starting as early as possible and only stopping when it was completed. We did this to ensure any aspect we hadn’t covered would be tackled as soon as it arose.
This procedure proved to be a complete success. Elizabeth stayed in hospital for 3 weeks. The doctors were extremely happy with her progress. They marveled at the effectiveness of the techniques Elizabeth used during her blood tests.
In fact, the consultant in charge saw Elizabeth's reactions when blood tests were discussed before admission, and he believed Elizabeth wouldn't be able to do them, and therefore wouldn't be able to get treatment she needed. He was amazed how well Elizabeth dealt with these tests!
Elizabeth had 8 blood tests in the end, one of these was very incompetently carried out. A nurse completely missed the correct spot, taking the blood too far down on the arm and collapsing the vein. Yet Elizabeth coped extremely well with the ordeal, and has had more tests since.
In Elizabeth's own words: "You saved my life!", and we are happy to say that Elizabeth is continuing her treatment for anorexia with us for the foreseeable future, until she's again a healthy and well-adjusted person.
If you’re interested in the chart and instructions I gave to Elizabeth, just email me and ask!
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.