- Fears And Phobias
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- A skeptic, escalator & freeway phobias and converging lines (with a lead in discussion on "getting worse")
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
On her popular EFT discussion list, Betty Moore-Hafter recently reported a 3 hour marathon session regarding "Susan's" intense dental phobia. Since it contained many creative approaches to a stubborn problem, I asked for her permission to recreate it here. Please note the various angles and languaging that Betty uses...they are very professional and highly transferable to many types of cases.
This is one of those cases where good progress is made but there is still more left to do. At the end, Betty's client is much improved and is able to go to the dentist without panic. There is still some trepidation left, however, and so I offer a few thoughts within Betty's message that might be helpful in the future. They are offered, of course, with the benefit of hindsight.
"Susan", a woman in her late 20's, was referred to hypnotherapy by her dentist because her severe dental phobia made it impossible for her to have dental work done. She had only had dental cleanings in the past, never needing fillings. But now she had some cavities, and the first time the dentist tried to work on them, she had gone into such panic, literally screaming and flailing in the dental chair, that no work could be done.
She didn't know where the fear had come from -- only that she was terrified of dental work and couldn't control her panic. I suggested that she sit in my recliner (which might feel like a dentist's chair!) and close her eyes and tune into the feelings. I asked Susan to describe how she felt. Then we started with EFT, as I tapped for her using her words.
Even though I'm terrified of the dentist... and I feel like I want to cry... I don't want to be there... I don't want to go through with this... I still love and accept myself.
(Tapping the points for "terrified...feel like I want to cry... don't want to go through with this")
Even though my whole body doesn't want to do this... my whole body wants to get out of there... I forgive myself for feeling this way... and I honor myself for having the courage to face this fear...
(Tapping the points for, my whole body doesn't want to do this... I want to get out of there... I feel it in my body...)
Susan felt a little better. The feeling of wanting to cry had subsided. I asked her to describe what she anticipated about the whole procedure step-by-step and we would tap for every detail.
Even though I don't want them to put that swab in my mouth... with the local anesthetic... I hate that cotton in my mouth... I hate the taste... I'm still a good person... and I accept myself completely...
Even though I'm terrified of the needle that will inject the novacaine... I can't stand to have that injection in my gum... I love and accept myself...
I asked her more about how she felt physically to think of these things that would have to be done in her mouth. She said, "My mouth is really tight. My mouth wants to close up and keep all this out. My mouth doesn't want to open."
So we tapped for, Even though my mouth is all tight...doesn't want to open... wants to stay tightly closed and keep those things out... I love and accept my body... I love and accept my mouth.... I know my mouth is doing the best it can to protect me....and spare me pain... but I want my body to know... I want my mouth to know... that the dental work is to help my teeth and protect my teeth and spare me real pain in the future... We tapped the points for, "This tight mouth...doesn't want to open..."
Susan reported that her mouth still felt tight, so I said, "Tell me more about what you're feeling inside." She said it felt like they were violating her privacy and forcing her to do something she didn't want to do, and that really bothered her. So we tapped for those words: Even though it feels like this is violating my privacy... forcing me against my will... forcing me to do something I don't want to do... I deeply and completely accept myself...
This seemed like a good emotional theme to pursue, so I asked her if this feeling reminded her of anything else. First, she thought of some relationship issues where she had felt pressured to do some things she didn't want to do... so we tapped for those and added some choice statements: "Even though others may pressure me... to do what I don't want....I know I have the right to walk away... I choose to be powerful... I choose to walk away." Then I asked if she could let her mind drift back in time and see if there was anything in the deeper past, perhaps in childhood, that this reminded her of. "Maybe being forced to eat things I didn't want sometimes," she said. I asked her, "Can you think of a specific incident?" "Yes," she said. "I'm remembering a time when I was about 9 and my mother made a special stew for dinner. A small bowl was enough for me and I didn't want seconds, but my mother really wanted me to have more. I wanted to say no, but I didn't wan! t to disappoint my mom... so I forced it down...but I got sick afterwards."
GC COMMENT: Two items for possible future use....
1. In my experience, dental fears are sometimes linked to an aversion to oral sex. However, the client doesn't always want to bring this up (and is sometimes unaware of it) and so an opportunity for core issue work is thus delayed. Betty's interrogation about what the dental work reminded Susan of was an important piece in this case. It led to the "special stew" issue which, of course, was helpful. If there was, indeed, an oral sex issue this would have been the environment for Susan to bring it up.
We all have different styles and, if my intuition truly suggested an oral sex issue, I might have asked bluntly....
"Does the dental probing remind you of oral sex?"
To some, this may seem crude but, to me, it is often essential to be direct. With this question I am efficiently probing for a core issue. If I get a negative reaction then I have found an important cause. That's good.....mission accomplished. If I politely tip-toe around it, however, I may find myself playing eternal ping pong with surface issues.
The bottom line here is that we owe the client our best detective work and we need to drill down to the core issues as efficiently as possible. We have the tool to collapse the emotional intensity of almost anything and thus it is our responsibility to probe until we find the true issue(s).
2. To the extent possible, I like to recreate the problem during the session. That way the subtle aspects are more likely to show up. Betty's creative use of her chair (as a dentist's chair) helped to recreate the problem.
I might have gone a step further and asked Susan to open her mouth while I played dentist and placed a ball point pen (a would be "drill") in her mouth. This way you can tap for any intensities that show up as the ball point pen is gradually inserted into her mouth. This should be done in steps, stopping to tap each time the client gets intense about the insertion of "the drill." Assuming success, you should eventually be able to probe around the client's mouth with no reaction whatsoever.
BETTY CONTINUES: I said, "Just be 9 now...be 9 in your mind... just be that girl... and we'll tap for her"
It went like this...
Even though I don't want any more stew... I've had enough... I want to say no... I still accept myself... and even though I couldn't say no and walk away... and I ate the stew ... because I really wanted to please her... didn't want to disappoint her... even though I was forced to eat something I didn't want... and I got sick... wish I could have just said no.... I was doing the best I could... didn't want to disappoint my mom.... Now I will say no and walk away... if it's something I don't want... wish I could say no and walk away from the dentist...
Susan felt more peaceful about the childhood incident after that, but it was unclear if we'd made any progress on the dentist issue. So I had her go back and replay in her mind the entire procedure... the local anesthesia... the needle... she reported quite a difference. She said that she still felt anxious but, even though she didn't like it, she could imagine herself going through with it.
We continued for every part of the procedure, the drilling, the noise, the fingers in her mouth, the water squirting in, having to keep her mouth open, afraid her mouth was too small and would be painfully stretched -- there were dozens of aspects! We tapped for them all. Finally, we tapped using her desire to "be powerful" to reframe the whole situation. "Even though I don't enjoy this dental work, I choose to face my fear and be powerful and do what needs to be done... I can be powerful and choose to face my fear... I'm the one choosing this."
It was a marathon session, nearly 3 hours. And Susan still felt pretty anxious about the dentist when she left. We would see......
So I was relieved when her phone message several days later said, "The techniques really, really worked! I was still trembling, but I could tap, and was totally relaxed, so we were able to get the dental work done. My dentist was very pleased -- he said it was like night and day."
Betty Moore-Hafter, MA, CHt
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.