- Fears And Phobias
- Fear of flying and many aspects
- Getting behind a complicated Fear of Flying case
- 57 year old fear of flying vanishes in one EFT session -- 3 month follow-up included
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--over the telephone
- Treating "fear of flying" as a trauma case.
- A Fear of Flying turned out to be a metaphor for another life issue
- Solid detective work finds the true cause of a Fear of Flying
- Quality session for a fear of flying insects
- A good example of EFT's Generalization Effect with the fear of flying
- Surrogate tapping for the fear of flying
- Brad Reed helps with the fear of flying (followup at end)
- Do you want to skydive?
- A fear of flying case with a unique twist
- Fear of Flying, Public Speaking and All Phobias Gain Rapid Relief From New Meridian Based Procedure
- Turkish MD finds core issue for a flying phobia
- Intense fear of flying eliminated with EFT -- with follow-up and interesting side benefits
- Chrissie Hardisty's former fear of flying
- Simple EFT Basic Recipe collapses phobias regarding ladders, flying and cats.
- Fear of flying subsides--follow up included
- Eliminating a VERY intense fear of flying 6 weeks before getting on the plane
- EFT "on the fly"--the fear of flying
- Second hand tapping on the fear of flying
- EFT eliminates fear of flying--an excellent study in aspects
- No Drugs Necessary to Reduce Fear of Flying, Jet Lag and Air Travel Health Risks
- Fear of flying, leaving home is dangerous, and you can never come back!
- Up, up and away--the fear of flying
- How my computer helped clear a fear of flying
- Can we collapse the fear of flying even when there is no airplane around?
- What was really behind Janice's fear of flying?
- The bird fear that had an unusual aspect
- A detailed "fear of dogs" case using SPECIFIC EVENTS
- Ten year old boy uses EFT to rid his friend of a dog phobia
- Fear of birds is minimized in minutes
- Breaking down a phobia into many aspects
- A dog phobia case that required persistence
- Success using EFT while imagining a phobia
- A quality look at how to test your work
- Sarah's cat phobia and other newcomer issues
- Fear of dogs disappears as EFT is used on an "unremembered memory"
- An EFT one minute wonder for fear of dogs gets a nanny a new job in a home with a 90 lb. dog
- Was the fear of cats the real issue?
- EFT newbie helps claustrophobic husband prepare for full body scan machine with great results
- The Skeptic & Claustrophobia (or how I was treated like a
- EFT for panic attacks and claustrophobia -- quality approaches
- Claustrophobia has traumatic birth memory as its core issue
- Claustrophobia relieved in one session
- A follow-up on claustrophobia
- Testing claustrophobia results.
- Applying EFT remotely to a driving phobia in India
- Jack Foriska eliminates his own terror of highway driving
- Essential Tremor and a cliff-driving phobia
- A bridge-over-water phobic crosses the Golden Gate Bridge
- Resolving many aspects of Freeway and Bridge Fears
- 40 year driving fear gone: "Now I drive that mountain like I own it!"
- Borrowing benefits brings a welcome side effect
- Using the Movie Technique in client
- Success with Fear of Bridges over Water -- with 7 month update
- Loren Fogelman collapses her own driving anxiety
- Driving fear in Louisiana
- EFT for motorway driving anxiety
- A seemingly simple height phobia with underlying causes
- Surrogate mental tapping achieves success for a height phobic in a balcony
- Successful surrogate EFT on Hiccups, Fear of Heights and a Sore Throat
- Textbook height phobia case--two rounds of EFT and "Poof"
- EFT helps with fear of heights in the California Sierra Mountains
- A height phobia with traumatic roots
- The Fear of Heights was not really the Fear of Heights
- Movies and a fear of heights
- Newbie completely collapses a fear of heights
- Nate's fear of heights: From the Grand Canyon to a helicopter experience
- A phobia with an unusual cause
- The height phobia that wouldn't move
- A couple of one minute wonders - fear of heights and feeling dizzy
- A height phobia in Poland with a classic Apex response.
- Getting to specific events for resolving a height phobia
- A Newbie overcomes her own needle phobia
- Client with two phobias: Fear of mice and needles.
- Challenging needle phobia is eliminated
- Fear of needles is cleared after addressing many aspects with EFT
- Using EFT when having blood taken - even if a vein collapses and you have a fear of needles
- Five sessions of EFT for a severe needle phobia - every detail needed tapping
- Getting beyond a 30 year fear of needles in 15 minutes
- Being creative about a stubborn dental phobia
- EFT clears an obsessive dental phobia: Note the insightful questions involved
- Using EFT for the fear of dentists - including a several year follow-up
- EFT for obsessive health fear
- EFT for a fear of surgery
- Client spontaneously recalls important core issue while tapping for Fear of Choking
- EFT for a fear of anesthesia allowed Mara's client to have a lung transplant
- Nurse had a fear of taking blood samples
- Elimination of fear of death and loss of two children in 15 minutes
- John was paralyzed with fear over his wife's cancer
- Success with infertility issues and "The Fear of the Fear."
- EFT helps a 12 year old girl with a dentist fear go from screaming and crying to singing
- Fear of Gynecological exams cured with EFT
- EFT newbie uses EFT successfully on a fear of roller coasters and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- EFT for fear of blood tests: Anorexia patient is able to receive hospital treatment
- EFT Newcomer takes care of her own phobia of dead animals
- EFT eliminates a serious fear of vomiting
- Being Alone
- Water / Swimming
- Overcoming the fear of swimming in a lake--many aspects treated
- Anthony's water phobia--gone in an afternoon
- Atrial Fibrillation, EFT as a University Curriculum and a Water Phobia session saves lives
- Niki LaMont on a water phobia
- An intense test of a water phobia relief
- From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
- A stubborn fear -- The importance of persistence and 'seemingly unrelated issues'
- EFT for different aspects of a tarantula scare
- Rapidly collapsing a complicated spider phobia
- Lainy Wells' first EFT test--spiders
- "I have a fear of spiders you can't begin to touch!!"
- Spider phobia relief as a side benefit
- Two at-risk teenagers simultaneously resolve severe phobias with EFT in one session
- EFT for a child
- High-fiving a spider - a skeptical newbie's first case
- Professionally stepping through an intense phobia case
- From being "scared to death of math" to an A in Algebra for a 36 year old returning to school
- A model case for all complicated phobias
- EFT for musicians
- Helping a young girl ride her bike
- It seemed like a bus phobia
- EFT calms a little girl
- EFT for a core fear brings a useful side effect
- 10 year follow-up on multiple phobias and dependency issues
- Roseanna Ellis helps an 11 year old boy overcome phobias
- EFT's Peace Potential: Establishing rapport and trust with a wasp
- How tapping for a fear automatically brought up a core issue -- birth trauma
- How EFT stopped 2 young boys from crying at the barbershop - a lesson in surrogate tapping
- EFT for fear of bees
- The impossible phobia--how did you do that?
- Tapping to release future fears
- Tapping on a single point brought fear and pain to a halt
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Fear of worms points to critical "core issue"
- Mom uses EFT to help her fearful son ride a bike
- Progress with a "Social Phobic"
- Cell phone phobia
- Fear of social occasions resolved despite not finding the cause
- Resolving fear of stepping out of the house brings improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- One brief EFT session releases a fear that originated at birth--Important for serious EFT students
- Tapping during a frightening movie to remove the fear
- Quick phobia work aims at specific events
- Creative EFT session brings up many specific events underlying a tunnel phobia
- EFT for getting over the fear of giving a teleclass
- Fear of clowns and mimes
- EFT for 7 year old Jasmine's stage fright
- Michelle LaPrise's email phobia
- Deborah Lindsey shares her opinion about three major fears and phobias
- Fear of small spaces...a case with many aspects
- Trouble with math clears up after doing EFT on a "ghost vision"
- EFT reduces test anxiety in moments
- A birth trauma was the core issue behind this phobia
- Lifelong fear of "Screaming Sirens" fades after attention to many aspects
- Fear of entrapment and a useful way to uncover core issues
- Finding the REAL issues behind two (presumed) phobias
- Stripe phobia
- Collapsing fears associated with a gay man
- Severe tunnel phobic goes through 42 tunnels with minimal anxiety
- Surrogate EFT calms a frightened boy at school - a pipe bomb scare
- Extreme phobia eliminated after finding the core issue
- EFT side effect -- Banishing a show jumper
- Bonnie's fear of stairs
- Mandy Momberg's friend was afraid to be in her own home -- One month follow-up verifies EFT success
- An Intense fear of tunnels in Norway
- 21 year swallowing phobia clears after 2 simple rounds of basic EFT
- A very, very detailed look at undoing a fish phobia
- Some thoughts on EFT for fear
- An intense fear of choking on food was linked to stress at the dinner table and cleared with EFT
- Fear of riding on horseback disappears - but only after getting to the core issue
- 40 Years of Terror gone after 60 minutes with EFT--smoking addiction gone too.
- Tapping for fear of the
- Tunnel phobia--"oh that is so easy"
- EFT and gay issues - fear of men
- Using EFT for stage anxiety
- EFT for the fear of failure/success -- this time with an actress
- Bathroom phobia
- Camera-shy problem disappears after getting to core issue
- Using EFT for the wedding day jitters
- Very simple relief for an intense phobia. What is a phobia anyway?
- Young boy's eating phobia aided by a fascinating intuitive/surrogate session
- Virtual EFT on a motorbike in South Africa
- Young Debby enjoys her day -- no more fear of the Austrian Alps
- Young girl
From extreme water phobia to swimmer with EFT ... "I wouldn
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Here is an excellent article by Julia Williams from the UK that should be helpful to newbies and professionals alike. She takes us step by step through many, many aspects on the road to collapsing this long standing fear on her own.
I hope you might be interested to hear of the results I have had with EFT on dealing with a longstanding (35 years), very extreme water phobia.
Let me first explain where I think this phobia came from. When I was 7 years old my father took me to a local leisure center and dropped me into the deep end (7 feet deep) of the public swimming pool, because my mother wanted me to learn to swim, and as a non-swimmer himself he thought that this was the best way to do it! He then left me there alone for 45 minutes while he went shopping! I was a non-swimmer and had never been in a pool before that day. I clung to the sides of the pool and screamed for the full 45 minutes. Everyone ignored me; the pool was packed with big kids who splashed around with a giant beach ball, terrifying me. Not surprisingly I developed a water phobia which got worse and worse.
Aged 10 at public school, swimming lessons were compulsory for a full year. I spent each lesson locked in the rest rooms at school with the teachers trying to get me to come out, whilst the school bus went to the leisure center without me.
My phobia developed to the extent that I couldn’t use a shower (as I couldn’t stand water coming at me powerfully from above), I had to cross the street if walking past a leisure center that had a pool because the smell of the chlorine would trigger a panic attack. I couldn’t cross bridges over water without a panic attack. I had to avoid parties and social events where the host had a swimming pool in his garden, as I couldn’t risk going near it. Just seeing a pool at a distance would reduce me to helpless tears.
A friend tried to help me learn to swim in the sea when I reached my early twenties. I got into the water until it was just below my knees and then I blacked out. My friend told me that whilst in the process of fainting I had struggled with him and punched him very hard in the face. I had no memory of this, but from his bruised face it was clearly true!
About 18 months ago I decided to try to get over this phobia once and for all. My partner Mark helped me into the children’s pool at a lovely local leisure center. The pool was empty apart from us but I couldn’t get more than knee deep in the water and started to panic, clinging to him and clinging to the side, unable to move. Gradually over a few months I managed to get my body fully into the shallow water but couldn’t think of swimming or of letting go of the side of the pool.
Then I discovered the EFT DVDs and decided to apply EFT to the problem. This is how I used EFT to help me get over this stage of my water phobia. First I sat quietly at home and meditated on my fear of water. I observed the thoughts that arose in my mind. This took around 10 minutes.
The first thoughts that arose were long forgotten memories of how my mother used to wash my hair when I was a small child aged between 3-5 years old. Her method was to sit me in the bathtub and pour large quantities of water over my head from a pan, in order to rinse my hair. I remember not being able to breathe when the water cascaded down over me and of feeling terrified.
On recalling this sensation I felt a great deal of anger arise at my mother, so I tapped with the following wording:
Even though my mother shouldn’t have done that to me…
Even though she was stupid to do that to me…
Even though I could not breathe…
The level of intensity of these were all in the range of 9 or 10 on a scale of 0 to 10 and I got them down to a 1 or zero after about 4 or 5 rounds of each. The one about not being able to breathe was by far the worst one.
Once these were dealt with I moved onto the next most significant fear which arose, which was the fear that water was somehow glutinous and sticky like syrup and would suffocate me. I tapped as follows: Even though water seems like glue to me… This one cleared up after 3 or 4 rounds, but was a level of intensity of 10 out of 10 to start with. I got it down to zero out of 10.
The next fear that arose was the fear of having water swirling around my body – the fact that it seemed to move of its own accord scared me. I tapped with Even though the water is moving… This one started at about 8 out of 10, and went down to zero in 2 rounds.
Next came quite a bizarre fear – that the water was alive and somehow evil. I tapped with this phrasing, Even though I think the water is alive and trying to kill me… This was 9 out of 10 and went down to zero in 2 or 3 rounds.
I realized that the incident when I was 7 years old of being dumped in the pool was the next significant water-based event which had scared me, after the hair-washing incidents. To deal with this event I decided to do the movie technique, starting from my initial excitement at walking to the leisure center, right through the traumatic incident itself, through to getting home and my incomprehension at my father telling my mother afterwards that I had done well in the pool. I did the movie technique alone, speaking out loud as if I were telling someone else in the room what had happened to me. I had to stop after practically every sentence to tap and this took me about 45 minutes, until I could narrate the whole sequence out loud without registering any fear.
Next came some specific emotions. I registered strong anger at my father, and tapped with the following phrase, Even though I don’t understand how he could have done that to me… This was a level of intensity of 10 out of 10 and took several rounds to get down to a zero.
The next significant frightening event to occur in my life had been the weekly school swimming lessons when I was aged 10. I did the movie technique on this. The movie started with the sleepless nights I suffered every Sunday (in anticipation of the Monday afternoon lessons), right through to the confrontations at school when I locked myself into the school rest rooms to avoid getting on the school bus to the pool. On these Sunday nights I always experienced panicky asthma-type attacks which lasted most of the night.
My parents always refused to help me avoid the swimming lessons by writing a letter to the school and did not take my fears seriously. So there was also some anger with them that had to be addressed during the movie. I worked on the movie technique alone, speaking out loud. This was surprisingly quite an easy subject to make progress on and took only about 10 to 15 minutes to deal with completely. I didn’t have to stop too many times to tap.
Next I moved on to work with the emotions around the incident on the beach when I attacked my friend and blacked out in the water. Again I used the movie technique, stopping where necessary. This was quite a tough event to deal with because there had been a period of a few moments when I had been unconscious in the water, so I wasn’t 100% sure of how to deal with that, as I had no knowledge of what had happened during that short period. Nevertheless I was able to narrate the story out loud with no emotion after around 30 minutes of tapping.
So, having dealt with all of the above points I went with Mark to the pool again. On coming out of the men’s changing rooms he was astonished to see me floating quite happily on my back in the middle of the children’s pool, alone!
Over the following months I made good progress but I was still scared of swimming on my front. I couldn’t get too far away from the edge of the pool. I was however OK to stand in the adult’s pool (5 feet deep) as long as I didn’t go too far away from the edge.
I had been doing some work at home, reading a book on swimming and I had been practicing doing all the right moves for the breaststroke, in hopeful anticipation that I might one day actually be able to do it in water! Strangely enough it hadn’t occurred to me to do EFT again. This went on for a few months until I decided to do some more EFT work.
I started my EFT session by sitting quietly and meditating on the thoughts that arose in my mind relating to water. The first fear to materialize was the fear that I would lose control of my arms and leg in the water so I tapped with, Even though I am scared of losing control of myself… I did 3 rounds, getting down from a level of intensity of 8 out of 10 … to a 3 … then to a 1.
Next was the fear of being too far from the edge of the pool. When I thought about being too far from the edge I felt a strong shock of fear in my chest, which I rated a 10 out of 10. I tapped with, Even though I am scared of being far away from the edge... This fear went down to zero in just 2 rounds.
Next arose the fear of putting my face near the water so I tapped with, Even though I am scared of putting my face near the water… This started at 10 out of 10 and went to 3, then right down to zero after 2 rounds.
Next was a surprising emotion – a feeling of being ashamed that I couldn’t swim. I tapped with Even though I am ashamed that I cannot swim… This went from 9 to zero out of 10 in two rounds.
Finally I uncovered a fear of there being strangers in the pool at the same time as me, probably linked back to the time when I was left in the pool aged 7 and the big kids were splashing around and scaring me. So I tapped with, Even though I am scared of strangers in the pool with me… This went from 9 out of 10 to zero in 2 rounds
This tapping was carried out one Saturday. That same afternoon we went back to the pool … and what can I tell you except that I got straight into the children's pool and submerged myself under the water to see what it felt like. Then I tried floating horizontally face down in the water and finally I was able to actually do the breast stroke - after a few attempts I went the whole length of the pool (about 10 meters).
Next I got straight in the big pool (5 foot deep) and was able to swim several widths with a perfect breaststroke technique, without any fear at all, much to Mark’s total amazement. My face was actually going right into the water and I wasn't afraid. I felt that this progress was totally abnormal and impossible, but I was delighted and victorious! I felt no fear at all, not even a 1 on the scale of 0 to 10, and can’t wait to attempt a whole length of the big pool next time I go! In fact, I wouldn’t mind having a go at snorkeling, and next year when we hope to go on vacation to Florida I might have a try!
Interestingly, I bought the EFT DVD’s to help me with the effects of stage fright (I am a professional singer) and have had a lot of success with this too – but that’s another story! I had used NLP and Human Givens techniques (do you have this in the US?) to eliminate the mental fears involved in stage fright, but the physical symptoms such as dry mouth, palpitations, upset stomach, did not shift permanently until I discovered EFT.
I hope to train further with EFT and pass on the techniques I have learned to my singing students and colleagues in the business. Please feel free to quote or use any of the above, if you feel it would help others and thank you for giving me this great tool which is making such a big difference to my life!
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.