- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Stubborn client, PTSD, hidden aspects and psychological reversal
- PTSD from a traumatic miscarriage is resolved with EFT
- New Treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Delivers Rapid, Long Lasting Results for Iraqi War Veterans--No Drugs Necessary
- Bob Patefield wipes out his own PTSD
- An EFT gift for firefighters suffering from PTSD and trauma
- EFT beginner collapses her own PTSD
- Vietnam Vet with severe PTSD sleeps through the night for the first time in 39 years
- War veteran with PTSD gets quality results with EFT
- Curing PTSD
- Pat Farrell resolves her own PTSD
- Knocking down war PTSD symptoms like dominoes
- EFT on DID and PTSD
- EFT clears PTSD -- Nassirya bombing, Iraq
- An EFT Newcomer relieves Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- How I handled my PTSD (child abuse) all by myself
- An efficient way to relieve a PTSD memory
- How I handled my PTSD (witnessing a violent crime) all by myself
- Rape by a "friend"--PTSD and suicidal thoughts
- Jeanne Ranger clears her own PTSD
- A very traumatic birth experience was at the root of this woman
- A problem staying focused and present had its roots in childhood trauma -- EFT resolved it.
- Difficulty with labor pains had its roots in childhood sexual abuse
- Chronic ear infections vanished after childhood trauma was cleared with EFT
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- EFT and the devastation of childhood abuse
- Childhood molestation--using UNDERSTAND in the Set-up phrase
- EFT and birth trauma - addressing "the fetus inside me"
- 13 years of daily abuse fades with a form of The Personal Peace Procedure
- Deborah Miller helps a man unravel how a childhood molestation affects his current relationship
- A creative way to uncover a traumatic childhood event
- An Hour and Ten Minutes (for relief of attempted murder, two assaults, rape and childhood incidents)
- Cleaning up a rape trauma
- A "one minute wonder" rape release.
- An EFT expert beautifully weaves EFT within her client's pain, panic and molestation--success across the board
- A detailed and professional session regarding EFT for rape -- with one year follow-up
- Dr. Eric Robins, MD, uses EFT to avoid surgery for urination problem
- Unique uses for EFT in the surgery room
- Did EFT or Antibiotics help this little boy?
- How to remove a cyst without surgery or lasers
- A sore throat is traced to a childhood tonsil surgery
- Rapid EFT results with an ACL tear -- Every sports team in the world would love to hear about this
- Cataract surgery goes perfectly after releasing inner child Issues
- Did Brenda really abuse her brother?
- Three dissociative disorder cases
- Rape Trauma alleviated completely in one session with EFT -- libido returns
- Three EFT sessions lift depression, anger and sexual abuse trauma
- Pat Gurnick is my hero
- War trauma--no more nightmares
- 15 minutes of EFT brings dramatic results to a Vietnam Veteran
- EFT tapping for trauma brings unexpected benefits
- EFT "Choices" for recent NYC trauma victims.
- Using EFT to negotiate with multiple personalities
- This psychiatrist uses EFT
- Pieter de Zwart combines his intuition with quality testing of his work for a first class result for trauma
- Borrowing Benefits brings up and collapses the Big One
- EFT newcomer resolves her own deep seated issues from childhood
- Handling the aftermath of a mugging with EFT...over the phone
- EFT used instead of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) on severe trauma with impressive results
- EFT Trauma Session Seemed Complete But Needed More Work
- Praise for the EFT Tearless Trauma Technique
- Another approach to the Movie Technique
- Handling an abuse case in a quality way
- Working with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Rape resolved in record time
- The connection between vitiligo and a traumatic experience
- Trauma relief one week after the Sept. 11, 2001 tragedy
- EFT after an attack in the street
- Helping a lost boy and his family out in the woods - spontaneous EFT
- The value of guessing: Releasing trauma in an injured elbow
- Sexual abuse case
- EFT helps clear early date rape trauma
- How Rebecca Gurland started with the EFT Personal Peace Procedure and wound up collapsing her major core issues
- Hollywood film maker resolves deep personal traumas with EFT
- Resolving the intense after effects of child birth trauma
- A Detailed and Masterful Article on Using EFT for Trauma
- Six successful sessions with a war veteran
- Criminal defense attorney does EFT with suicidal client in jail
- Expert handling of a hidden traumatic memory -- all within 30 minutes
- Listen to a successful EFT grief session with Dr. Carol Look and "Toby"
- Approaching complex trauma with EFT - The Inner Theater
- Working with trauma - the connection between EFT and the Amygdula
- Peeling away the layers of sexual abuse
- Tapping for prenatal issues brings benefits
- EFT for our Emergency First Responders
- Hives subside as traumatic incident is resolved
- Step by step through a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder case
- Digging for core issues - reconnection to a trauma that was behind hay fever symptoms
- Examples of "Stress Inoculation" through EFT...."but does it last?"
- Working with extreme trauma using a variation of the EFT Movie Technique
- Battered woman with cramped hands completes flower drawing after EFT--a one minute wonder
- Fear of dentists and oral rape
- A traumatic fall from a tree
- EFT after Hurricane Ike - Trauma Triage
- The Movie Technique for a traumatic memory and unresolved grief
- How to make EFT work when it "doesn't work."
- Lawyer resolves many personal traumas and writes testimonial letter
- K was left for dead after a Serial Killer's Attack -- EFT cleans up the traumatic aftermath
- A chiropractor helps a homicide trauma - burping is a sign of relief
- It started in a prison camp
- An EFT Formula for Specific Trauma
- A traumatized female reclaims trust in her instincts
- Hurricane Katrina survivor successfully receives EFT for trauma
- Comparing traumatic abreactions--with and without EFT
- An expert discusses EFT and sudden trauma.
- An extreme trauma with a severe abreaction--and what to do about it
- EFT in the aftermath of domestic violence
- Rapid relief from accident flashbacks
- Trauma in the trunk of a car
- Using EFT to unravel the many pieces of a child molestation
- Releasing the Trauma of placing her husband in a nursing home
- The layers of trauma
- An even more tearless trauma technique
- EFT with a Vietnam nurse - a quality use of specific events
- Where only the pros should tread.
- Successfully handling childhood molestation--a classy case by Nancy Morris
- The "emotional stunt double" process using EFT
- Persistent use of EFT brings assistance in traumatic dream
- The Sun in my Soul - EFT overhauls Kathy's life
- What would you do for your client if his son shot and killed another boy?
- EFT newcomer diffuses trauma even though he didn't know it was rape
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- Trauma relief for a Prisoner of War and a fruit phobia
- Thoughts on Abreactions and how to handle them
- Finding the trauma behind the trauma
- Delivering EFT to a macho war veteran
- Katrina Victims Enjoy New Trauma Relief Method
- Tapping on hearing traumatic stories from others - ear problems
- Rape trauma: "It just doesn't seem to bother me like it did."
- Tapping for the troops
- Using Group EFT in a school setting for a crisis
- Andrea's miscarriage
- Tearless Trauma Technique
- Creating a new emotional state for trauma sufferers
- Surrogate EFT for sleeping client dramatically clears sexual abuse
- Releasing 14 years of pent up grief and trauma
- Tip-Toeing into two car accident traumas
- How do you work with a traumatic incident that a client does not remember?
- Some tips for easing trauma survivors into using EFT
- Miranda: Repressed memory of childhood sexual abuse
- Using EFT for Trauma Relief after a major earthquake in Indonesia
- Aileen's client is an actress and no longer has "Interrogation Trauma" -- acting improves
- Trauma success in Israel--as told by the client
- Using the EFT Tell the Story Technique helps calm a rape victim
- Tina broke free from an age 12 trauma
- Using EFT when the client has a memory "blank spot"
- Using EFT after a terrorist attack
- Tapping on love pain leads Marta to her traumatic birth experience
- Using Surrogate EFT on 2-month old baby after surgery
- Group trauma treatment--CISD with EFT
- WAILING ON WALL STREET
- Releasing fear and trauma after a dog bite
- Accessing the deeper levels of trauma stored in our cellular memory
- Taking the edge off of a molestation.
- Gillian Wightman leads us expertly through a complicated "father abuse" case -- a fabulous start
- Using EFT for "womb issues"
- Email correspondence on a serious childhood abuse case
- Bringing Bev out of a semi-catatonic state
- Relieving the trauma of a car accident with EFT
- EFT newcomer taps herself out of a dissociative state during regular therapy
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
An extreme trauma with a severe abreaction--and what to do about it
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Jayne Morgan-Kidd gives us the history of her traumatized client and then describes the client's extreme reaction at the beginning of her EFT session. People sometimes enter into such sessions with intense buried memories. Thus it should be no surprise that this intensity shows up during the session. It is vitally important to recognize this and I make a comment about it within the article. Note how Jayne "stayed with it" and brought peace to the process.
Background: Jenny grew up in a violent home in which her father physically abused her mother. When Jenny was a young child, her mother tried to leave her father. During her attempt to leave, Jenny’s father killed her mother, and Jenny witnessed this event. Jenny told me she knew that this happened but had no memories about it. She talked about the murder of her mother in a matter-of-fact manner. No one in her family ever talked about her mother or her father or the death. Jenny’s grandmother just “became Mommy after it happened” and that was that. All of this was told to me with absolutely no emotion.
Jenny had married and had children with a man who was physically and psychologically abusive in order to control her, her behaviors, her beliefs, her freedom, her independence, and her self-esteem. When she decided to divorce him, she developed fears about leaving and being killed by her husband as her mother had been,
As the divorce date approached, she became more and more emotionally unstable and was eventually hospitalized. She was treated and released but her husband gained custody of the children and presently was making it impossible for her to spend time with them unless he was present as well. He was using the children as a means of persuading her to return to the relationship against her will. She continued to be fearful of him, but would play by his rules so she could see her children.
I taught Jenny how to do EFT and we tried some EFT on some simple body discomforts and some general feelings of anxiety. She was impressed with this simple technique. A few weeks later, we decided to begin work on the trauma. I told her that we would be using a special EFT technique to minimize emotional pain, (The Tearless Trauma Technique) and I described how it works. I told her we would approach the event in a general way to take the edge off the intensity and move toward it slowly and carefully. I told her everything except what was actually going to happen…
I asked her if she had any nervousness or other concerns about the topic we were going to address. I asked for any symptoms (body or emotional) that were present at this time but she had none. I thought it would be good to begin with a general statement so I said something like Even though life has been hard for me ever since I was little… and we didn’t even get off the karate chop point. She started to cry and covered her face with her hands. I told her I was going to tap for her. I began to tap on her head, as it was one of the few points that I could get to.
When I tap for clients, I often hold one of their hands with one of mine as I tap on them with the other. I took her hand and was continuing to tap on the points I could get to, including some of the finger points. Then I began to feel her hand getting heavier and heavier in mine. Her whole body was coming forward as she continued crying. She started saying things like, “I remember it, I can see it, I see what he’s doing ….” By this time she was on her knees on the floor and I was beside her, tapping her head and along her spinal column, saying things like ‘I’m safe now, it’s not happening now, this was a long time ago, nothing is happening now…”
I could hear her making hard swallowing sounds, as though she might vomit. I continued tapping and saying any calming phrase that came to me and after what seemed much longer than the 5 minutes it probably was, the abreaction subsided. There were no more tears or crying and she looked calm. She told me her throat was sore. She said she felt she had purged a lot and having a sore throat seemed reasonable to her. I told her we could tap on that sensation but she did not want to tap on it. It was almost as if she was proud that she had been through this ‘purging’. We ended the session by doing some tapping with some affirmations on self-acceptance and love.
I called the next day to see how she was doing. She told me her sore throat was gone when she woke up and that she continued to feel calm and relaxed. More sessions were required to resolve all the aspects of this trauma. But we had a start, albeit a bumpy one!
Did that first round of tapping bring on the abreaction? I would say yes it did. I don’t think if I had simply suggested that “life has always been pretty hard for her” that she would have had the same reaction.
GC COMMENT: It's important to recognize that EFT doesn't cause the memories that are behind this sort of abreaction. Why? Because the memories are already there. It is difficult to say whether they are brought out because the client is in a therapeutic environment or because EFT "loosened things up." Either way, I find it useful to have these real issues on the table so they can be dealt with. Otherwise, they stay hidden and seethe under the surface.
I’ve learned something else from this experience that I’d like to share with others who do this kind of work. In the future, when I have a client with such an extremely traumatic event, I will include one other set of phrasing even if they say they have no physical sensations or emotions present as we begin. I will tap for them anyway. I think I would use some phrases like:
Even though I’m not feeling anything right now about this experience I had when I was little…
Even though I might have all kinds of feelings about this experience that I may have hidden from myself…
And I would probably do several minutes of this approach before I went on to anything closer to the event itself.
This experience also reminds me that it’s important to let the client know that extreme reactions are possible with EFT even when we are using techniques to minimize pain. And it’s also important that you feel confident that you can stay with someone throughout an extreme reaction until it clears.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.