- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Stubborn client, PTSD, hidden aspects and psychological reversal
- PTSD from a traumatic miscarriage is resolved with EFT
- New Treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Delivers Rapid, Long Lasting Results for Iraqi War Veterans--No Drugs Necessary
- Bob Patefield wipes out his own PTSD
- An EFT gift for firefighters suffering from PTSD and trauma
- EFT beginner collapses her own PTSD
- Vietnam Vet with severe PTSD sleeps through the night for the first time in 39 years
- War veteran with PTSD gets quality results with EFT
- Curing PTSD
- Pat Farrell resolves her own PTSD
- Knocking down war PTSD symptoms like dominoes
- EFT on DID and PTSD
- EFT clears PTSD -- Nassirya bombing, Iraq
- An EFT Newcomer relieves Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- How I handled my PTSD (child abuse) all by myself
- An efficient way to relieve a PTSD memory
- How I handled my PTSD (witnessing a violent crime) all by myself
- Rape by a "friend"--PTSD and suicidal thoughts
- Jeanne Ranger clears her own PTSD
- A very traumatic birth experience was at the root of this woman
- A problem staying focused and present had its roots in childhood trauma -- EFT resolved it.
- Difficulty with labor pains had its roots in childhood sexual abuse
- Chronic ear infections vanished after childhood trauma was cleared with EFT
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- EFT and the devastation of childhood abuse
- Childhood molestation--using UNDERSTAND in the Set-up phrase
- EFT and birth trauma - addressing "the fetus inside me"
- 13 years of daily abuse fades with a form of The Personal Peace Procedure
- Deborah Miller helps a man unravel how a childhood molestation affects his current relationship
- A creative way to uncover a traumatic childhood event
- An Hour and Ten Minutes (for relief of attempted murder, two assaults, rape and childhood incidents)
- Cleaning up a rape trauma
- A "one minute wonder" rape release.
- An EFT expert beautifully weaves EFT within her client's pain, panic and molestation--success across the board
- A detailed and professional session regarding EFT for rape -- with one year follow-up
- Dr. Eric Robins, MD, uses EFT to avoid surgery for urination problem
- Unique uses for EFT in the surgery room
- Did EFT or Antibiotics help this little boy?
- How to remove a cyst without surgery or lasers
- A sore throat is traced to a childhood tonsil surgery
- Rapid EFT results with an ACL tear -- Every sports team in the world would love to hear about this
- Cataract surgery goes perfectly after releasing inner child Issues
- Did Brenda really abuse her brother?
- Three dissociative disorder cases
- Rape Trauma alleviated completely in one session with EFT -- libido returns
- Three EFT sessions lift depression, anger and sexual abuse trauma
- Pat Gurnick is my hero
- War trauma--no more nightmares
- 15 minutes of EFT brings dramatic results to a Vietnam Veteran
- EFT tapping for trauma brings unexpected benefits
- EFT "Choices" for recent NYC trauma victims.
- Using EFT to negotiate with multiple personalities
- This psychiatrist uses EFT
- Pieter de Zwart combines his intuition with quality testing of his work for a first class result for trauma
- Borrowing Benefits brings up and collapses the Big One
- EFT newcomer resolves her own deep seated issues from childhood
- Handling the aftermath of a mugging with EFT...over the phone
- EFT used instead of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) on severe trauma with impressive results
- EFT Trauma Session Seemed Complete But Needed More Work
- Praise for the EFT Tearless Trauma Technique
- Another approach to the Movie Technique
- Handling an abuse case in a quality way
- Working with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Rape resolved in record time
- The connection between vitiligo and a traumatic experience
- Trauma relief one week after the Sept. 11, 2001 tragedy
- EFT after an attack in the street
- Helping a lost boy and his family out in the woods - spontaneous EFT
- The value of guessing: Releasing trauma in an injured elbow
- Sexual abuse case
- EFT helps clear early date rape trauma
- How Rebecca Gurland started with the EFT Personal Peace Procedure and wound up collapsing her major core issues
- Hollywood film maker resolves deep personal traumas with EFT
- Resolving the intense after effects of child birth trauma
- A Detailed and Masterful Article on Using EFT for Trauma
- Six successful sessions with a war veteran
- Criminal defense attorney does EFT with suicidal client in jail
- Expert handling of a hidden traumatic memory -- all within 30 minutes
- Listen to a successful EFT grief session with Dr. Carol Look and "Toby"
- Approaching complex trauma with EFT - The Inner Theater
- Working with trauma - the connection between EFT and the Amygdula
- Peeling away the layers of sexual abuse
- Tapping for prenatal issues brings benefits
- EFT for our Emergency First Responders
- Hives subside as traumatic incident is resolved
- Step by step through a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder case
- Digging for core issues - reconnection to a trauma that was behind hay fever symptoms
- Examples of "Stress Inoculation" through EFT...."but does it last?"
- Working with extreme trauma using a variation of the EFT Movie Technique
- Battered woman with cramped hands completes flower drawing after EFT--a one minute wonder
- Fear of dentists and oral rape
- A traumatic fall from a tree
- EFT after Hurricane Ike - Trauma Triage
- The Movie Technique for a traumatic memory and unresolved grief
- How to make EFT work when it "doesn't work."
- Lawyer resolves many personal traumas and writes testimonial letter
- K was left for dead after a Serial Killer's Attack -- EFT cleans up the traumatic aftermath
- A chiropractor helps a homicide trauma - burping is a sign of relief
- It started in a prison camp
- An EFT Formula for Specific Trauma
- A traumatized female reclaims trust in her instincts
- Hurricane Katrina survivor successfully receives EFT for trauma
- Comparing traumatic abreactions--with and without EFT
- An expert discusses EFT and sudden trauma.
- An extreme trauma with a severe abreaction--and what to do about it
- EFT in the aftermath of domestic violence
- Rapid relief from accident flashbacks
- Trauma in the trunk of a car
- Using EFT to unravel the many pieces of a child molestation
- Releasing the Trauma of placing her husband in a nursing home
- The layers of trauma
- An even more tearless trauma technique
- EFT with a Vietnam nurse - a quality use of specific events
- Where only the pros should tread.
- Successfully handling childhood molestation--a classy case by Nancy Morris
- The "emotional stunt double" process using EFT
- Persistent use of EFT brings assistance in traumatic dream
- The Sun in my Soul - EFT overhauls Kathy's life
- What would you do for your client if his son shot and killed another boy?
- EFT newcomer diffuses trauma even though he didn't know it was rape
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- Trauma relief for a Prisoner of War and a fruit phobia
- Thoughts on Abreactions and how to handle them
- Finding the trauma behind the trauma
- Delivering EFT to a macho war veteran
- Katrina Victims Enjoy New Trauma Relief Method
- Tapping on hearing traumatic stories from others - ear problems
- Rape trauma: "It just doesn't seem to bother me like it did."
- Tapping for the troops
- Using Group EFT in a school setting for a crisis
- Andrea's miscarriage
- Tearless Trauma Technique
- Creating a new emotional state for trauma sufferers
- Surrogate EFT for sleeping client dramatically clears sexual abuse
- Releasing 14 years of pent up grief and trauma
- Tip-Toeing into two car accident traumas
- How do you work with a traumatic incident that a client does not remember?
- Some tips for easing trauma survivors into using EFT
- Miranda: Repressed memory of childhood sexual abuse
- Using EFT for Trauma Relief after a major earthquake in Indonesia
- Aileen's client is an actress and no longer has "Interrogation Trauma" -- acting improves
- Trauma success in Israel--as told by the client
- Using the EFT Tell the Story Technique helps calm a rape victim
- Tina broke free from an age 12 trauma
- Using EFT when the client has a memory "blank spot"
- Using EFT after a terrorist attack
- Tapping on love pain leads Marta to her traumatic birth experience
- Using Surrogate EFT on 2-month old baby after surgery
- Group trauma treatment--CISD with EFT
- WAILING ON WALL STREET
- Releasing fear and trauma after a dog bite
- Accessing the deeper levels of trauma stored in our cellular memory
- Taking the edge off of a molestation.
- Gillian Wightman leads us expertly through a complicated "father abuse" case -- a fabulous start
- Using EFT for "womb issues"
- Email correspondence on a serious childhood abuse case
- Bringing Bev out of a semi-catatonic state
- Relieving the trauma of a car accident with EFT
- EFT newcomer taps herself out of a dissociative state during regular therapy
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
Finding the trauma behind the trauma
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to (1) consult The Gold Standard EFT Tapping Tutorial, (2) Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Trauma is often surprisingly easy to clear with EFT. When it isn't, however, there is usually a deeper issue that requires detective work to uncover. Read how Pamela Bruner uncovers such an issue in her well written article. She says, "Sometimes it’s not the presenting trauma, but a secondary trauma covering the first, that keeps the clearing from happening completely."
Martha (not her real name), a client that I had worked with briefly before, asked me to help her clear a childhood trauma. She had worked on it in other therapy, telling the story over and over until she thought that it had cleared, but she had started to have doubts about that.
When Martha was nine, her mother developed psychosis, had locked Martha in the room with her, brandished knives, spoken terrible things about Martha’s father and said that she didn’t love Martha any more. Although the mother had apologized later, Martha never again believed her when she said ‘I love you’. Also, Martha reported that her sister had suffered much more emotionally from this trauma than she (Martha) had, and Martha continually felt guilty about her sister’s emotional problems. Martha reported crying while watching a movie that mentioned childhood memories.
During the first session we used the Tell the Story technique, stopping at literally every sentence, checking for intensity (which was quite high), and tapping each sentence to zero. At the end of 90 minutes all of the statements in the story had been neutralized; however, both of us could tell that there was still unresolved negative energy around the trauma, so I suggested that we work the next day to clear it out.
At the second session, I asked how she now felt about doing more work on the trauma. She replied that she had felt ‘euphoric’ after other EFT sessions we had completed prior to yesterday’s session, but after the trauma session she had just felt drained. Nevertheless, she wanted to proceed.
I asked her to begin the story, and she immediately had intensity, although at a much lower level than the day before. We tapped on each sentence again, and after a few rounds, I said “It’s really hard to tell this, isn’t it?” Martha agreed, so we tapped on:
Even though it’s really hard to tell this story, it was a long time ago; I choose calm and peace now.
She said, “I remember … I’d forgotten this! - when I was 11 they investigated my mother. I was at summer camp, they came and interrogated me, I didn’t want to tell about it, and it was so intense that I fainted.” So we did two rounds of tapping.
Even though the interrogation was so intense that I fainted…
Even though I didn’t want to tell this story…
The level of intensity of these was 8+ on a scale of 0 to 10, and each dropped to 0 in a round. This was the key! She reported ease, the euphoria that she had felt in previous EFT sessions, and kept saying, “I can’t believe it.”
Apparently the trauma of ‘telling the story’ to the investigators at age 11, compounded by the years repeating the pain in talk therapy, had added another layer of complexity to this issue. Even getting the individual parts of the story down to a 0 level didn’t bring relief, until we cleared the issue of the trauma of TELLING the story. Strangely, this didn’t appear when we started the first session – I had asked how she felt about telling the story, and she said that she just wanted to tell it.
I had her return to the beginning, and she easily went through the story up to that point, reporting a completely different energy. She felt no intensity about the events in any way! Then we got to tapping for other events, each of which went from a level of intensity of 10 out of 10 to zero in two rounds.
Even though my mother tied up my sister… This had several aspects.
Even though I feel guilty that I didn’t help my sister…
Even though my sister suffered much more in later years from this than I did…
Even though I should have helped her, I was just a kid, I was doing the best that I could…
She said that she felt clear about how she had behaved regarding her sister in the past, but now sometimes her sister would annoy her, and she would look into her eyes and see the eyes of a child, and feel guilty.
Even though I feel guilty now every time she annoys me…
Even though I look into her eyes and feel guilty, I choose to release this guilt, I choose to love her instead.
Euphoria again! She felt clear about her sister. The rest of the story went easily, one or two rounds on each sentence.
At the end I had her repeat the story – she remained at zero the whole way through. I asked how she felt about her sister – great! I said ‘You mentioned that you never again believed your mother when she said that she loved you’. She paused and said ‘That’s gone!’ We hadn’t even tapped directly on that issue - I suspected that when the story went to zero, that would go as well.
What I learned from this: Sometimes it’s not the presenting trauma, but a secondary trauma covering the first, that keeps the clearing from happening completely. Martha now reports that the euphoria continues, and that she feels a peace that she has not felt in years.
Thanks, Gary, for EFT!
Pamela Bruner, CLC, EFT-ADV
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.