- An EFT reference for student and social service use
- Helping a child release school related insecurity and anxiety - visualizing balloons as you tap
- Baerbel Froehlin gives her thoughts on working with children - toilet problems and fingernail biting
- Calming down a disruptive classroom with EFT
- EFT for trauma in elementary school
- EFT in schools: When was the last time you said thank you to a hero?
- Angie Muccillo tells why EFT is an essential tool to teach children
- 10 year old Josh learns multiplication tables rapidly
- EFT helps a child to cope with his hyperactivity and murdered dad - school grades improve
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Making a game of EFT calms restless preschoolers
- Success with a 6 year old: Coughing, Sleep problem and School anger issue
- 45 minutes of EFT on a learning disability brings impressive benefits
- 9 year old boy uses EFT to deal successfully with divorce and school problems
- Tapping with kids before a camping trip
- Zach's fear of dogs
- Magic buttons and no more fear of the hum-hum Monster
- After EFT, 8-year-old boy no longer has fear and panic about being alone in a room
- Fear of the dark
- A two and a half year old releases a severe fear after one hour of very creative EFT
- Child's bug phobia eased quickly by EFT
- Handling a child's fear of being home alone
- A toddler's fear of water shifts to excitement in less than 5 minutes
- Child's stage fright and bullying incident eased quickly by EFT
- Fear of making a mistake, fear of peers laughing at him & bedtime fears due to TV programs.
- Tapping for a 4 year old's constipation leads to relief from her fear of death
- "Is everything poison?" and fear of spiders
- How EFT for a dental fear brought relief to both mother and daughter
- Relieving Juleus' fears
- Doing EFT with children for the fear of water
- Fear of Santa Claus
- EFT for a child
- Being bullied, sleeping with the lights on & fear of spiders
- The Teen who had a fear of showing his face
- 11 year old successfully taps for her own fear of going to camp
- Calming down an energetic one year old child
- After a few minutes of mental tapping, a baby stops screaming and falls asleep
- Creativity with severely disturbed children
- A seven year old learns EFT and calms his own ADHD
- An insecure child with behavior problems
- Did surrogate EFT calm this crying, outraged baby?
- Andrew: "There are mice in my pants"
- Helping parents whose children have autism
- An ADHD case
- AT 315 pounds, Tanya is a VERY big 12 year old.
- Surrogate EFT for a naughty boy
- AFRAID OF BEING DROWNED!
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbed boy
- Clever use of EFT for an 8 year old girl's anger
- Angry teenager
- Unsociable behavior in a 14 year old boy
- How do you neutralize extreme behavior problems in youngsters where nothing else has helped?
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history
- Angry young boy overcomes an "entity within" using surrogate EFT
- EFT for influencing children to do healthy things
- Resolving issues for a frantic, hysterical baby
- Scary commercials
- Loud noises no longer bother 3 year old girl
- SURROGATE EFT calms a boy bitten by a dog and PERSISTENT EFT restores his calm sleep
- Teacher displays many EFT benefits achieved by his students
- Teenage trauma from the Columbine incident & swimming performance.
- Surrogate EFT brings peace to annoying toddler
- Three-for-one phone session - borrowing benefits for mom and two kids
- Using EFT for mosquito bites on a 3 year old - "These itchy boo-boos"
- For parents--using EFT with your own children
- Eliminating two food allergies in one session
- Flexible approach to EFT pulls 10 year old boy out of his 'Dark Place'
- Using EFT in a pediatric dental office for sensitive gag reflex
- A "must" EFT procedure for children
- Linda Wood helps very distressed 3 year old girl while mother looks on in total disbelief
- Creative uses of EFT for a child
- Surrogate EFT for two-year-old reduces fever in an hour
- EFT hastens recovery from a concussion and skull fracture
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- A simple way to handle a child's nightmare
- Surrogate EFT for a toddler
- Pain and rash leave in 90 seconds for a 10 year old boy
- Drowning related trauma relief for a 9 year old boy
- Surrogate EFT benefits both mother and child
- Did a few minutes of EFT change this child's life?
- EFT for the child who hates math - was math really the problem? "Mom, you're my hero!"
- Children--Gary's Introductory Message
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Surrogate tapping clears severe diaper rash
- Successful Surrogate EFT for his daughter's rejection brings joy to Mauricio's heart
- Nancy Gnecco's cases: sleeping disorder, separation anxiety, school phobia, wetting pants, soiling pants
- Teacher helps students with non-academic issues: Abscessed tooth and batting average
- Deborah Miller introduces EFT at a children
- Some EFT guidelines for working with children
- Allergic reaction to horses--swollen eyes.
- Sept. 11, 2001 Trauma Treatment for Children
- How to help a vomiting 9 year old boy from thousands of miles away
- EFT with a 5 year old boy -- reducing childhood baggage
- Angie Muccillo emphasizes the value of tapping on childhood events
- Dyslexia and learning disabilities
- Surrogate tapping for crying baby--over the Internet
- EFT clears severe pain and retrieves a lost voice for an eleven year old girl in forty minutes
- EFT helps a 14 year old girl with emotions related to her parents
- Hand washing OCD
- Emotional underdevelopment
- Using EFT for teething pain
- EFT with 11 year old students - SATs and other issues
- Study Links Childhood Trauma to Serious Illnesses in Adults
- EFT being used by children for other children
- TappyBear helps resolve 11 year old's escalating anger and frustration - the real issues come out
- Bowling performance and driver's test anxiety
- Several short examples including: Fear of flying, Halloween costume fear, Fear of ocean waves, A baby about to cry, Broken leg pain, Student/Teacher friction, Upset student
- Kids, Chocolate, Humor and EFT
- EFT provides impressive results in the classroom
- EFT helps Nell's godson learn the times tables
- 10 year old boy overcomes food issue related to Mother's cancer
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- Using EFT with kids
- Surrogate EFT eases the after effects of a sprain for a 4 year old boy
- Turning around a manipulative child
- Using EFT as a Mother
- Using EFT with children -- 9 useful thoughts
- EFT for bedwetting
- No more bedwetting--a side benefit?
- MD gives up 30 year medical practice to focus on energy work: Two boys get over bullying experience
- Four year old clears her own cold symptoms with EFT
- Dawn Murray
- Helping a restless child to go to sleep
- Surrogate EFT helps sick toddler
- EFT assists 8 year old in giving up thumb sucking
- Surrogate EFT helps a screaming baby on a plane
- EFT for compassionate newborn care -- a Transient Tachypnea (TTN) case
- Shortcut version of EFT enhances classroom performance
- When angry "Teacher-Talk" affects the student's performance
- Surrogate tapping helps restless child sleep
- Successful EFT with a four year old girl who uses her own phrasing
- Pet grief, school (math) performance & cursing/anger.
- WATER IS DANGEROUS !!
- EFT helps children who express their anger by moving their bodies
- EFT persistence brings relief to Bobby's upset stomach at the fairgrounds
- Intense childhood anger reduces to peace via mother's surrogate EFT
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Teaching EFT to 11 year old children
- EFT for an infant's sleeplessness
- Surrogate EFT calms kicking and screaming students
- Surrogate (remote) EFT used to calm children ... or ... how to be a Silent Angel
- Sleep disorder relief for a 17 year old
- Turning Students On to EFT
- Surrogate EFT to help restless kids - or is it a coincidence?
- An unsuccessful case regarding peformance in English class
- Teaching kids to tap
- EFT and Tappy Bear help a shy boy get to kindergarten
- EFT in the classroom
- Molested Boy: Shifting a life forever
- Wisdom from Bobbie Sandoz--relieving trauma at early ages
- A fun way to deliver EFT to children--and everyone gets to smile
- What to do when the student hates math
- An 8 year old girl with an "itchy lump" in her throat: A simple use of EFT
- For children: Using EFT with rhymes
- Using EFT for an autistic child
- Magazine article highlights use of EFT for children
- Tapping to clear those decisions we make as children that eventually limit us as adults
- TappyBear helps client to focus
- Car sickness
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- Math test anxiety subsides after being traced to a specific event
- Success with surrogate tapping for a crying child
- Face hot & red, teasing, travel sickness, phobia of dead things, shyness and more.
- Elegant session with 11 year old boy for test anxiety
- EFT for pain and nightmares in 3 year old girl
- Lazy teen finds new way to study - adding the right ingredients
- More short examples including: Homesickness, Nervousness about exams & grade improvement, Nightmares after witnessing a rape and a shooting, Performance anxiety, Ear pain on an airplane.
- Perpetually terrified teenager gains major relief
- Surrogate EFT to help children sleep - a critical lesson regarding intention
- Surrogate EFT stops a child from biting others
- Using EFT for a 9 year old girl diagnosed as bipolar and as having reactive attachment disorder
- Fear of rain, thunder, lightning, bugs & dogs. Relief for cramps.
- Using EFT for Colic and generally happy babies
- Using EFT Rhymes for children
- Using EFT and Max's imagination to get rid of his headache
- Resolving a child's severe abdominal pain -- a likely Urinary Tract Infection
- EFT for babies
- When a child cannot sleep in her own room
- Stuttering child
- Surrogate EFT for a baby with hiccups
- An EFT newcomer helps her daughter
- Family effects
- 13 year old boy gets relief from uncontrollable twitching
- Tapping turns NightMares into
- What can children ages 8-13 do with EFT on their own?
- A very detailed message on a young girl's motion sickness
- Helping children sleep and socialize--AND--two lactose intolerance cases
- Teaching EFT to children - a detailed account
- Helping children to express their 0-10 feeling intensity
- Using humor and metaphors while applying EFT for children: The Frog in my Throat
Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbed boy
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
A special thank you to Ann Adams for sharing her experience with Teddy. This emotionally disturbed 11 year old boy, and many youngsters like him, are particularly challenging. They require extra levels of skill, rapport and caring and Ann's abilities in this regard are evident in the story. You might also appreciate that the entire session with Teddy took less than 20 minutes.
Hugs to all the Teddy's in the world, Gary
Teddy is one of too many children who are victims of child abuse and neglect. With an emotionally disturbed diagnosis, he spent two and a half years in our intermediate level residential treatment facility
GC COMMENT: Ann holds an administrative position with this facility.
Teddy had made a lot of progress and was scheduled to leave on Friday to a therapeutic foster home.
He had refused to go to school Monday and Tuesday and was again refusing Wednesday morning. His therapist, and other staff who had special relationships with him, had tried reassuring him about his upcoming move. He would not be comforted. So on Wednesday morning, starting the third day, he threw things and threatened and screamed and cursed. He had trashed his room several times in the last two days but Wednesday was the first time he had acted like he might hit anyone. He appeared to be doing everything possible to sabotage his upcoming discharge.
With brown hair and brown eyes and almost 11 years old, Teddy was considered 'cute.' But he did not look particularly 'cute' when I saw him through the door of the behavior control room at 9 a.m. that Wednesday morning. He was agitated, angry and cursing loudly. He had been disrupting the unit for over 2 hours. Staff had called 20 minutes earlier for a seclusion order after he had been restrained for physically threatening a staff member who tried to calm him after he had trashed his room for the third time that week.
Still cursing, he stared at me as I peered at him through the plastic bubble on the door of the seclusion room. I asked if he thought he had been in seclusion long enough. He glared at me but nodded. I told him I knew a way that helped kids calm down quickly so that maybe he could get out sooner. Did he want to try it? He nodded again, still glaring and hostile. I told him to move to the back wall and I would unlock the door. He did, and I did, and I sat down in the doorway.
I went straight to it. "First you tap your hand on the Karate chop spot," showing him as I spoke. When upset, Teddy was not known for his cooperative nature or his willingness to follow instructions! I knew I couldn't push too hard and that I had a limited window of opportunity. But he wanted out of seclusion, so he tapped. He glared at me as I said, "Even though you did something really foolish today, you are still a good kid."
His eyes got larger and he nodded and tapped the side of his hand. "Even though you trashed your room, you are still a good kid." He tapped and nodded. "Even though you got really mad at staff, you are still a good kid." He tapped and nodded.
Following my lead, he tapped the points. When we were through the points, I held my arms apart as far as they would go and asked, "If you were this upset when I first came in, and, this is not upset at all (hands in prayer position), how upset are you now?" I had not asked this question at first as it was pretty obvious he was a 10! He just stared. I stretched my hands out again all the way and told him to tell me when I get to the right place. I moved my hands in slowly. At about the half-way point, he nodded. He was beginning to look 'cute' again!
I said, "Great, this is working good for you, let's try it again." I started again tapping the side of my hand as I said with increasing enthusiasm. "Even though you got really upset, you are still a neat kid." He nodded and tapped. "Even though you are really scared about leaving here on Friday, you are still a wonderful kid." His eyes widened further and he nodded vigorously and tapped. "Even though you are worried about moving to a new place with new people, you are still a super terrific kid." His brown eyes widened even further and he nodded even more vigorously and tapped. He again followed me as we tapped the points.
When finished I moved my hands in slowly. He nodded when I got to about 6 inches apart. "This works great." I said, "Let's do it again." I repeated the set up as above adding in a few more adjectives such as marvelous and fantastic kid. As before, as I said each statement his eyes would widen and he would nod vigorously. He really seemed to be taking in each word. We completed another tapping sequence.
"So how upset are you now?" But before I could get my hands out to take a measure, this child, who had wreaked havoc on the unit for over two days put his hands together in the prayer position and smiled at me. He had not said a word through the entire process.
"Wow!" I said, "Cool stuff. This works really good for you." He nodded, still smiling. "Staff tells me you are refusing to go to school." The smile left his face for a truly visible sign of another aspect! "Can you tell me what the problem is at school?" I figured that even if he would not answer me, I could create possible set up phrases. But he did! "They tease me," he said. We talked a minute, and I mean a minute, about the kids at school. This was a child of few words!
I then conducted set up phrases based on the problems he shared. Each time he nodded at the 'super kid' part. After three sets, he put his hands together in the prayer position and said, "I want to go to ISS."
ISS is in-school suspension where, during school hours, a child must complete mandated natural consequence 'time' for negative behavior. After calming down from seclusion, a resident has a choice to spend the 'natural consequence' quiet time in either the ISS room or the behavior control room with the door open. Most chose ISS!
While my experience with EFT made me believe this child could now go straight to the classroom quietly, I respected his choice. He processed with the staff who had secluded him and we left the unit hand in hand to the on-campus school.
Teddy served his 'time' in ISS, completed the remainder of the week in school and was no further problem on the unit. He left on Friday all excited about his new 'family.'
Ann Adams, MSW, LCSW
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.