- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Stubborn client, PTSD, hidden aspects and psychological reversal
- PTSD from a traumatic miscarriage is resolved with EFT
- New Treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Delivers Rapid, Long Lasting Results for Iraqi War Veterans--No Drugs Necessary
- Bob Patefield wipes out his own PTSD
- An EFT gift for firefighters suffering from PTSD and trauma
- EFT beginner collapses her own PTSD
- Vietnam Vet with severe PTSD sleeps through the night for the first time in 39 years
- War veteran with PTSD gets quality results with EFT
- Curing PTSD
- Pat Farrell resolves her own PTSD
- Knocking down war PTSD symptoms like dominoes
- EFT on DID and PTSD
- EFT clears PTSD -- Nassirya bombing, Iraq
- An EFT Newcomer relieves Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- How I handled my PTSD (child abuse) all by myself
- An efficient way to relieve a PTSD memory
- How I handled my PTSD (witnessing a violent crime) all by myself
- Rape by a "friend"--PTSD and suicidal thoughts
- Jeanne Ranger clears her own PTSD
- A very traumatic birth experience was at the root of this woman
- A problem staying focused and present had its roots in childhood trauma -- EFT resolved it.
- Difficulty with labor pains had its roots in childhood sexual abuse
- Chronic ear infections vanished after childhood trauma was cleared with EFT
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- EFT and the devastation of childhood abuse
- Childhood molestation--using UNDERSTAND in the Set-up phrase
- EFT and birth trauma - addressing "the fetus inside me"
- 13 years of daily abuse fades with a form of The Personal Peace Procedure
- Deborah Miller helps a man unravel how a childhood molestation affects his current relationship
- A creative way to uncover a traumatic childhood event
- An Hour and Ten Minutes (for relief of attempted murder, two assaults, rape and childhood incidents)
- Cleaning up a rape trauma
- A "one minute wonder" rape release.
- An EFT expert beautifully weaves EFT within her client's pain, panic and molestation--success across the board
- A detailed and professional session regarding EFT for rape -- with one year follow-up
- Dr. Eric Robins, MD, uses EFT to avoid surgery for urination problem
- Unique uses for EFT in the surgery room
- Did EFT or Antibiotics help this little boy?
- How to remove a cyst without surgery or lasers
- A sore throat is traced to a childhood tonsil surgery
- Rapid EFT results with an ACL tear -- Every sports team in the world would love to hear about this
- Cataract surgery goes perfectly after releasing inner child Issues
- Did Brenda really abuse her brother?
- Three dissociative disorder cases
- Rape Trauma alleviated completely in one session with EFT -- libido returns
- Three EFT sessions lift depression, anger and sexual abuse trauma
- Pat Gurnick is my hero
- War trauma--no more nightmares
- 15 minutes of EFT brings dramatic results to a Vietnam Veteran
- EFT tapping for trauma brings unexpected benefits
- EFT "Choices" for recent NYC trauma victims.
- Using EFT to negotiate with multiple personalities
- This psychiatrist uses EFT
- Pieter de Zwart combines his intuition with quality testing of his work for a first class result for trauma
- Borrowing Benefits brings up and collapses the Big One
- EFT newcomer resolves her own deep seated issues from childhood
- Handling the aftermath of a mugging with EFT...over the phone
- EFT used instead of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) on severe trauma with impressive results
- EFT Trauma Session Seemed Complete But Needed More Work
- Praise for the EFT Tearless Trauma Technique
- Another approach to the Movie Technique
- Handling an abuse case in a quality way
- Working with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Rape resolved in record time
- The connection between vitiligo and a traumatic experience
- Trauma relief one week after the Sept. 11, 2001 tragedy
- EFT after an attack in the street
- Helping a lost boy and his family out in the woods - spontaneous EFT
- The value of guessing: Releasing trauma in an injured elbow
- Sexual abuse case
- EFT helps clear early date rape trauma
- How Rebecca Gurland started with the EFT Personal Peace Procedure and wound up collapsing her major core issues
- Hollywood film maker resolves deep personal traumas with EFT
- Resolving the intense after effects of child birth trauma
- A Detailed and Masterful Article on Using EFT for Trauma
- Six successful sessions with a war veteran
- Criminal defense attorney does EFT with suicidal client in jail
- Expert handling of a hidden traumatic memory -- all within 30 minutes
- Listen to a successful EFT grief session with Dr. Carol Look and "Toby"
- Approaching complex trauma with EFT - The Inner Theater
- Working with trauma - the connection between EFT and the Amygdula
- Peeling away the layers of sexual abuse
- Tapping for prenatal issues brings benefits
- EFT for our Emergency First Responders
- Hives subside as traumatic incident is resolved
- Step by step through a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder case
- Digging for core issues - reconnection to a trauma that was behind hay fever symptoms
- Examples of "Stress Inoculation" through EFT...."but does it last?"
- Working with extreme trauma using a variation of the EFT Movie Technique
- Battered woman with cramped hands completes flower drawing after EFT--a one minute wonder
- Fear of dentists and oral rape
- A traumatic fall from a tree
- EFT after Hurricane Ike - Trauma Triage
- The Movie Technique for a traumatic memory and unresolved grief
- How to make EFT work when it "doesn't work."
- Lawyer resolves many personal traumas and writes testimonial letter
- K was left for dead after a Serial Killer's Attack -- EFT cleans up the traumatic aftermath
- A chiropractor helps a homicide trauma - burping is a sign of relief
- It started in a prison camp
- An EFT Formula for Specific Trauma
- A traumatized female reclaims trust in her instincts
- Hurricane Katrina survivor successfully receives EFT for trauma
- Comparing traumatic abreactions--with and without EFT
- An expert discusses EFT and sudden trauma.
- An extreme trauma with a severe abreaction--and what to do about it
- EFT in the aftermath of domestic violence
- Rapid relief from accident flashbacks
- Trauma in the trunk of a car
- Using EFT to unravel the many pieces of a child molestation
- Releasing the Trauma of placing her husband in a nursing home
- The layers of trauma
- An even more tearless trauma technique
- EFT with a Vietnam nurse - a quality use of specific events
- Where only the pros should tread.
- Successfully handling childhood molestation--a classy case by Nancy Morris
- The "emotional stunt double" process using EFT
- Persistent use of EFT brings assistance in traumatic dream
- The Sun in my Soul - EFT overhauls Kathy's life
- What would you do for your client if his son shot and killed another boy?
- EFT newcomer diffuses trauma even though he didn't know it was rape
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- Trauma relief for a Prisoner of War and a fruit phobia
- Thoughts on Abreactions and how to handle them
- Finding the trauma behind the trauma
- Delivering EFT to a macho war veteran
- Katrina Victims Enjoy New Trauma Relief Method
- Tapping on hearing traumatic stories from others - ear problems
- Rape trauma: "It just doesn't seem to bother me like it did."
- Tapping for the troops
- Using Group EFT in a school setting for a crisis
- Andrea's miscarriage
- Tearless Trauma Technique
- Creating a new emotional state for trauma sufferers
- Surrogate EFT for sleeping client dramatically clears sexual abuse
- Releasing 14 years of pent up grief and trauma
- Tip-Toeing into two car accident traumas
- How do you work with a traumatic incident that a client does not remember?
- Some tips for easing trauma survivors into using EFT
- Miranda: Repressed memory of childhood sexual abuse
- Using EFT for Trauma Relief after a major earthquake in Indonesia
- Aileen's client is an actress and no longer has "Interrogation Trauma" -- acting improves
- Trauma success in Israel--as told by the client
- Using the EFT Tell the Story Technique helps calm a rape victim
- Tina broke free from an age 12 trauma
- Using EFT when the client has a memory "blank spot"
- Using EFT after a terrorist attack
- Tapping on love pain leads Marta to her traumatic birth experience
- Using Surrogate EFT on 2-month old baby after surgery
- Group trauma treatment--CISD with EFT
- WAILING ON WALL STREET
- Releasing fear and trauma after a dog bite
- Accessing the deeper levels of trauma stored in our cellular memory
- Taking the edge off of a molestation.
- Gillian Wightman leads us expertly through a complicated "father abuse" case -- a fabulous start
- Using EFT for "womb issues"
- Email correspondence on a serious childhood abuse case
- Bringing Bev out of a semi-catatonic state
- Relieving the trauma of a car accident with EFT
- EFT newcomer taps herself out of a dissociative state during regular therapy
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
Using EFT to negotiate with multiple personalities
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
This article by Annie O'Grady from Australia is for professionals in that it deals with an advanced mental disorder -- Multiple Personalities. It is a fascinating look at how to gain rapport with, and assist, the many personas that can show up after severe abuse. Annie's skills and creativity are enviable.
A nurse in her thirties attending one of my EFT groups relieved her lower spinal pain for which she'd been having ongoing chiropractic treatment. Encouraged by this, she later began several 90-minute EFT sessions with me every two weeks.
She was also being treated regularly by a psychologist for Dissociative Identity Disorder (which used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder). She had developed a set of alter personalities following childhood incest abuse that went on from babyhood until age fourteen.
She was now managing her life and her responsible job in a state of extreme tension and fatigue while living alone ('my relationships never work out'), and she wanted help with anger outbursts at work. Carol (not her name - and she has given me permission to share this) hoped that as we built rapport, her alter personalities would allow me to help reduce their pain.
In our third session, this began to happen. We had initially begun using EFT to calm Carol's anxieties, treat an adult sexual trauma and a troubling incident with her dog, and dissolve a belief that 'something will always go wrong'. We also tapped away 'a really loud inner voice that drives me crazy', without probing if this was an alter.
Carol later reported that she was calmer at work and much less angry. She said, 'I'm also less confused, which means that now I've got more time on my hands, because I don't need to correct things. And one huge difference is my diary. My handwriting's now neat, not messy!' She said tentatively, 'There's a happiness coming. That is fantastic for me!'
As a complementary therapist and teacher specializing in both past lifetime resolution and breathwork for more than twenty years, I'm comfortable empathizing with clients' visionary realities and utilizing these for healing. This includes dealing directly with individual aspects of personality.
In this case, I expected that at least some, if not all of Carol's alter aspects would be trapped in the past, so protective of her in the childhood scenario that they had not adjusted to safety in the present. This proved true. She did not know how many alters had developed, but guessed at eight.
She had buried the bulk of abuse memories, which began being spontaneously triggered in 1992. During our third session, Carol suddenly felt 'a real calm around a still hard core' (of pain). She said, 'There's some agitation, a sense of "I've been found out, and that might get me into trouble." There's a waiting, to see what will happen. Not sure if it's safe.' She heard in her mind the words, 'Could we really be going to get some help at last?'
Two sessions later, Carol began by telling me of her troubles with nightly teeth grinding which she had done for years. Although she wears a mouth guard at night, the pressures are still uncomfortable. She had once cracked a front tooth in sleep, now has a silicone filling to protect that tooth from further grinding.
The mouth grinding, she said, was done by one of her alters, 'Rhonda', whose function was 'to prepare the body for danger'. Carol added that another alter, 'NoName', had the job of 'keeping all the yuk stuff' (the abuse memories). I asked Carol to ask Rhonda if she would like to feel more comfortable. Carol closed her eyes and mentally communicated with Rhonda, who 'said' yes. So I invited Rhonda to tap along with Carol and me as we dealt with: Even though I need to grind my teeth at night…
After one round of EFT her level of intensity went from 10-plus to 9 on a scale of 0 to 10. Carol reported that her jaw felt looser. She said now that the jaw clenching was a response to 'fear of what's about to come'. We worked with this fear, and with 'the perpetrator in my jaw', and reached a level of intensity of zero out of 10.
Next to come up was Rhonda's guilt, for damaging Carol's mouth. We (three) tapped the guilt from 10 plus to zero out of 10. I included in the free wording a reference to Rhonda's job being finished now, because she had done such a good job. I knew that getting rid of alters was not the aim, as present understanding is to integrate them. So this healing, we felt, would necessitate assigning Rhonda a new job.
I suggested that instead of grinding the teeth in order to alert Carol to impending danger, if Rhonda perceived any danger, would she like perhaps to ring a bell, which would be a lot more fun? Rhonda responded enthusiastically. Carol reported that Rhonda was immediately trying out the bell. They negotiated that Rhonda would practise with the bell only for the next hour, and from then on would ring it only if it was needed.
Carol was feeling calmer. I asked if Rhonda would like to find NoName and tell her that she, Rhonda, was feeling happier. Carol said, 'Rhonda has to look for her among the black tunnels. Oh, she's found her and told her.' I then asked if NoName would like to feel happier. NoName said yes, and also agreed to try tapping along with us. Carol said, 'She has a heavy heart, we'd better start with that.' A physical pain in the heart also surfaced while we did nine rounds of EFT from a 10 plus to a zero out of 10: Even though my heart is heavy, and I have a heart pain…
NoName then volunteered that her name was actually Jessica, and she now felt more comfortable. I asked Jessica if she would like to feel even more comfortable. The response was, 'If it's this easy, yes.' I said, 'What would make you feel more comfortable?' She said, 'I would like to let go of the knowledge of all this yuk stuff.' I explained that although the knowledge would probably always be there, what she could let go of was the pain of having the knowledge. She agreed. This took seven rounds of tapping by the 'three' of us, to zero: Even though I have the pain of all this knowledge…
With the release of pain, we then verbally terminated Jessica's old job as Keeper of the Old Memories. Carol said that she really needed help with her memory in the present, so we awarded the willing Jessica the new job as Helper with the New Memories. Rhonda chimed in with, 'We've all got new jobs! Great!'
Next, another alter surfaced, called 'The Grumpy Old One'. Grumpy was grumpy about Carol's loss of precious childhood joys and freedom. We tapped this from a level of intensity of 10 plus to zero out of 10, changing the wording to: Even though I was robbed of precious childhood joys, I deeply and profoundly accept, love and forgive myself.
As Grumpy was not grumpy any more, Carol gave her the job of helping her to feel happy in the present. Carol reported that in her inner vision, the three parts were now happy, grinning, and 'all outside the black tunnels'. Her jaw was more relaxed, but after testing we collapsed a tension residue of 4 out of 10. I checked for any sadness at letting go of old familiar feelings, she found none. But she did have a new urgent problem, which we tapped to zero: Even though I don't yet know how to safely be in my new state, because I've never experienced being this happy before.
At the end of this session Carol and I spent some minutes sharing our wonder at what EFT can do. I just hoped she would not be kept awake that night by a bell ringing! (Later - she wasn't. And she said, 'The grinding is definitely reduced but needs more work.')
I checked with Carol that what we'd been doing was compatible with the psychologist's work. She said, 'His aim is to integrate them, but they won't, because it hurts. So any pain we can let go of is a good thing.' In our last session, a new alter 'appeared' with a helpful suggestion.
This work with the alters had in a sense been taking the edge off the issue. Soon we were able to start using the movie technique on some specific abuse events that she then recalled. Our next challenge will be her sleepwalking, which recently got her into an embarrassing situation of setting off her apartment building's burglar alarm. Apart from my own immense gratitude for EFT, the technique's myriad successes make it an exciting new frontier in consciousness research for all of us.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.